Cadaver-based art show in Chicago

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Santaduck, Apr 28, 2005.

1. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

What Box should I check???

[ ] Organ Donor
    [ ] Make body available for Science research
    [X] Make body available for art display

This is creepy, wasn't this an X-Files episode in Season 2 or something.

Thinks this will be a Vegetarian lunch and dinner today

2. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Is this the von Hagen (sp?) guy? He's had shows over here too - I think the last one was about 6 months ago in London. I suppose it's OK so long as it's more education and less 'art' freakshow...

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Am I right in thinking that's the fella who did the live 'Anatomy for Beginners' autopsies on Channel Four a few months back? Fascinating if a little gruesome.

4. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I saw the show last weekend - simply amazing! I'll try to post some pics this weekend. They also have a killer video game history exhibit (Game On) going on right now - fully interactive so you can play all your fave games.

Museum of Science and Industry

5. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Gunther is at it again.

He and his wife once came over to my parental house (when i still lived there) for lunch. He was doing his Körperwelten thing here in BXL (quite interesting). He's a bit strange, but a fairly ok guy.
    I didn't really take the time to talk to this guy as i had to eat fairly fast to go out that night to smoke and drink (which i couldn't do at the dinner table - at least not in the abundance i was planning to). One of the few things i remember (it was a good party ;)) is that when his wife's favorite horse died he plastinated it, as a present. Nice gift.

I'm signing in to donate my plastinated body to my closest living relative when i die. Now i just have to think of a good pose...

6. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Gunther recently fired his own father. They were setting up a large plastination factory, his father was in charge of setting it up. News came out about his father being in the SS during WWII. Gunther fired his dad because he didn't want his company being associated with Nazis.

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I wouldn't have described it as art as such - although it does show how amazing the human body is. The plasticised circulatory system was beautiful.
    I found it fascinating and it brought me greater awareness of my body than biology classes in high school ever did.

8. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I agree 100% - really amazing on a scientific level more that an artistic.It all sort of reminds me of the old Twilight Zone episode where a frustrated artist starts making "sculptures," out of real people. I think there was a Vincent Price movie along these lines as well - "House of Wax," maybe?

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Good Lord- how long before this exhibit becomes "against Jesus?"

I went about a month ago. It had a huge impact on me. So much so that I became a donor. There's about 4 pages of paperwork involved and my lawyer's signature, but I honestly can't think of anything better to do with my body after I'm done with it, so it's worth it.

10. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

I hear people are dieing to be a part of this exhibit... :D

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

ive only heard good things about this exhibit, hopefully i will get a chance to see it soon too, sounds interesting and informative

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The pictures are fascinating. Thanks for posting the link. Being a nurse even makes them of more importance. I wonder if this is the same show that was in Los Angles, Doctor Q had posted about that show. If this if maybe there is hope that it will make its way to Boston.

13. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

hyuk hyuk. :rolleyes:

Actually made me chuckle..

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Belated Happy Birthday!

I hope that this show makes it to DC!

What some miss is that art can also be educational.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I know that a lot of museums wouldn't touch it because they thought it would be too controversial. And BTW-the exhibit is more educational than artistic.

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Thank you. ;)

Yes, I think that art is often very educational.