Caffeine-free...

Discussion in 'Community' started by kiwi_the_iwik, Jul 29, 2003.

1. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Well - it's official. It's now been a whole year since I gave up caffeine.

That means no Tea, coffee or Coke.

At times, it was tough - but I had to do it. All part of the big behavioural experiment, to see whether caffeine had any bearing on my mood.

At first, I had all the tell-tale symptoms of withdrawal from a drug addiction - bad headaches, and severe irritablity. That lasted about 4 days...

...then - nothing but a clear head; like total sobriety.

I wasn't that surprised, really - I had been drinking over 2 LITRES of Coke per DAY, and had a twice-daily Cappuccino that was strong enough to kick-start a Jumbo jet...

Who else has done the caffeine-free test? Who'd like to give it a go? (You're sure to get results in a week... go on!).

Don't forget to post your findings!

:D

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've done it before and had some of the same results. The headaches for me only last a day or two. And the first week I feel a little better, but then I really don't notice a change.

So I usually do it for a month at a time and then start back in drinking coffee. I only have two cups a day, so its not that much and no coke. So maybe I didn't have as profound an experience as someone who drinks more.

The fun part, though, is having the first cup of coffee......mmmmmmm ;)

D

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

hmm...there's another vice for me...caffeine... :eek:

so questions...

What "differences did u notice in particular?

Did the headaches stay all day, or just part of the time? Any remedies?

D...how was that first dose after a month off? :D

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Every year I go a month with out alcohol and another without caffeine (never at the same time ;) ).

I will say the first cup of coffee is always damn tasty - and that's why I drink it and don't give it up for good - it tastes great (especially Misha's coffee, a local place here in Alexandria that roasts their own beans). I could easily give up Coke/Pepsi and actually, I pretty much have, its been well over a month since I had a coke...

D

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

You didn't even eat chocolate?

congrats on the accomplishment... i never totally quit, i mean, sure it's got a hold on me, but i don't freak out if i can't get any... and i have better drug addictions to be worried about :) But a few years back, I was drinking about 12-24 cans of Mt. Dew a day, plus coffee... i had to cut myself off... crashed and did no caffeine for a couple of weeks... got myself back to normal. But the headaches and cloudy perceptions were terrible ...

pnw

6. kiwi_the_iwik thread starter macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

The headaches were pretty annoying to say the least.

The best remedy was to just try and put your mind onto something else - or better still, give yourself a mini-shiatzu massage in each shoulder.

In fact, if you pinch that nice piece of fatty tissue between your thumb and forefinger nice and high up - and HARD - I mean REALLY HARD - and HOLD it there through the burning sensation you get - about 10-15 seconds should do it - it acts as a relaxant, and a headache cure. It's an old oriental remedy - and trust me - it works (even though it DOES sound sado-masochistic...).

I was fairly irritable before - but now I feel very calm and relaxed. I could just imagine bouncing off the walls if given a can of Coke now...

;)

And yeah - forgot about the chocolate. But since I NEVER touch the stuff anyway, not an issue...

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

yeah...forget it...

I'm not giving it up totally...

I try to keep it down some days though...

a coffee in the a.m...another coffee or tea or diet coke in the afternoon...

maybe something chocolate for dessert...

I couldn't give it up...coffee & chocolate pair up nicely flavor-wise with red wine anyway... ;)

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

oh, good, now i have to go eat some torte with a bottle of shiraz... it's your fault i'm drunk and fat...

okay, i'm not really fat... but i will be if i don't stop buying these damn tortes...

i haven't used my espresso machine since i moved almost two months ago... i just realized! damn, i should go warm it up...

why haven't they made coffee that's got flavors similar to wine, anyway? A light-roast chardonnay, a cabernet breakfast-blend... okay, bad idea...

:)
    pnw

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

1. Wow!!

2. I don't believe Mountain Dew contains caffeine, or much of it whatsoever.

3. The only thing I give up annually is meat. I'll give it up for a month, but that is all. I don't know why, but it has been traditional for me to do so over the past 3 years. ;) In my opinion, THAT is tougher than giving up caffeine. ;)

10. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Re: Caffeine-free...

Does John Ashcroft know about this?

I can hear it now:

"What? Withdrawal, you say? Headaches? Hmmm. Tell me more about this substance you call 'KAFF-EEN'."

:D

11. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

12. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

hmm....yeah...that's about as good an idea as the "Jump to Conclusions Mat" ;)

drunk & fat...ha ha...

13. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

14. judith macrumors regular

judith

I shuttered just reading the words "caffeine free". What are you trying to do to me? The mere idea....

I'm a purist - I drink only filtered water. (fortified with 1/2 Cup of grounds):D

15. pEZ macrumors 6502

Wow, a caffeine thread. While I don't drink a ton of caffeinated stuff, I do eat a lot of chocolate, so to speak. When I'm in school though, and I really need a jolt (hehe, no pun intended) I drink something with guarana, like bawls - that has saved me on those 10-page-paper and 10-minute-presentation nights...

16. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

about six months ago, i cut my coffee intake (probably between 50 and 60 ounces a day) to a strict one cup in the morning. growing up, i worked in a lot of coffee shops, so i've had a serious habit for years and it was tough at first. as in, headaches like someone got into my head and was squeezing my eyeballs from behind. but i'd say within a month, i was back to normal, and now i actually notice the effects when i have more than one cup in a day.

nothing compares to quitting smoking, though... i quit about 2 years ago, after smoking at least a pack a day for over 5 years. i think that's one reason i'm not going to give up coffee any time soon; i still need something to sublimate my addictive nature.

17. judith macrumors regular

judith

Now here is a person who knows thyself!
    I smoked for years when we lived in the #1 bad air in the nation area, but we've since moved to Heaven on Earth, USA. I used to tell (jokingly) my highly significant other that I was adding years to my life by filtering the noxious air thru a cigarette. Just goes to show how far I can go to rationalize my (bad) behavior! Now I have no excuse, and I'm so appreciative of the natural beauty with which we are surrounded, it sickens me to think of polluting it! It's a whole new latitude! But this is where an espresso on every corner originated, and I have to support my local economy! (see how well I rationalize?);)

18. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I don't have enough vices to give up coffee, don't drink, don't smoke, gave up drugs in the late 80's, I'm even married and faithful...:eek:

I need to keep the coffee habit for my own piece of mind, that and the full english breakfast addiction I'm currently struggling with:D

No, I'm staying with the bean, it's my friend.

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

3 years ago I went off coffee for about 3 months due to a study that I participated. They only allowed 12 ounces of a caffeine drink per day. Decided not to bother with that small amount. I weaned myself off the coffee slowly, so that decreased the headache problem. Didn't really notice any difference in my mood. I just finished another study that required only 12 ounces of caffeine drinks per day. This time I followed the 12 ounce only regime, also didn't notice a difference.

20. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

I'm slowly giving up tea, and I (mostly) gave ups oda a month or so ago. I've been really tired since it happened, but i'm a lot less moody. Once I'm done with this, I'll give up other crap I'm slowly killing myself with, like meat...

21. kiwi_the_iwik thread starter macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

I once had a Coffee-beer in Seattle (a microbrewery experiment... tasted a bit burnt. Blech!).

22. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

that sounds odd...but if done right...I bet it's tasty...

there's a local beer brewery who does a white chocolate dessert beer...comes in 8oz. bottles...called Dixie White Moose...

has a picture of Bullwinkle on the label...damned tasty....I love it... :D

23. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

How would you pronounce that in French? Boffee??

Anyway, I gave up 8 cans of caffienated diet soda per day. I still have a 44oz diet coke (caffienated) on the way home from work.
    I still drink a couple bottles of decaf diet while at work, along with lots of water. Eventually, I am going to be cutting the last caffinated drink out. I'm just not ready yet. Maybe I'll take up smoking to make it easier ;)

24. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, I had my two cups of coffee again today, and the rest of the day I just drink water, and lots of it. Probably well over a gallon a day.

Occasionally I'll do an ice-tea when I go out to eat, but that's it.

One good dessert is the chocolate covered espresso beans....yumm!

D

25. pEZ macrumors 6502

I'm seeing more of a Beeffee, not that it matters.

*cracks a can of diet coke*
    *sluuuurp*

I could never give up my cola friend. Why did they decide to take the cocaine out of Coca-Cola anyway? It probably added flavor and substance. Even though I don't do drugs. Or smoke. Or drink. Wait, is caffeine a "drug"?