Caffine Nap

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by todd2000, Feb 13, 2006.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Nov 14, 2005
    Danville, VA
    Im not a big coffee drinker my-self (I know...I know... And I call my-self a geek :)) But thought someone might try this out, since I know there might be a few people on MR that are caffine addicts :) Mabye... Anyway here is the excerpt from the web site

Sleep researchers at the Loughborough University in Britain did several tests on fatigued drivers to compare the effects of different methods for a driver can use to stay awake. They put the volunteers in driving simulators while they were sleepy and let them drive. Some of the tests included rolling down windows for cold exposure, blasting the radio and slapping oneself in the face to try to stay awake. But what researchers found worked the best was a Caffeine Nap.

The Caffeine Nap is simple. You drink a cup of coffee and immediately take a 15 minute nap. Researchers found coffee helps clear your system of adenosine, a chemical which makes you sleepy. So in testing, the combination of a cup of coffee with an immediate nap chaser provided the most alertness for the longest period of time. The recommendation was to nap only 15 minutes, no more or less and you must sleep immediately after the coffee.

Considering this is something cheap and accessible to virtually anyone it's probably a good tip to keep in your toolbag for long trips.

Although judging by the fact that it's 2AM and im posting this on MR insted of sleeping, I guess I don't need a Caffine nap now do I? Help!!! you people are pulling me in :)
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Interesting. Is there a link? :)

My job lets me drive very long distances (up to 700km per day sometimes) and I find the best method is to stop the car, get out and stretch my legs, even if it's merely a fifteen metre stroll. Second to that is taking a very quick nap (also about fifteen minutes) but I've never tried this straight after a coffee. I wonder if they tested the effect of the nap by itself, without the caffeine.

Oh, and one small tip for prospective long distance drivers, drink Coke (or an equivalent). I realise it's not the healthiest drink but it has caffeine plus it'll make you want to stop every few hours and find a tree in need of some fertilising. :)