Calculator Currency Converter Conumdrums...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Heltik, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Heltik macrumors regular

Jul 16, 2002
    I use calculator alot to check currencies, and I love that feature. Except, I haven't been able to update the currency exchange rates since the 13th of Feb without the ap from Crashing every time.

A quick look at my software update log shows that I added the latest security update around this time, and I was wondering if perhaps this has had the unfortunate side effect of preventing me from updating currencies - by preventing some network communications that calculator needs for this function etc...?

Or could it be that my currency convertor install has become corrupt in some way? Calculator had never crashed prior to this recurring event, and I've only ever shut down Panther gracefully - not crashed once since I've had it, so it strikes me as unlikely that Calculator should have become corrupt. Is there a method by which I can reinstall the application from a package on my Panther install set?

Cheers in advance people.
  2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    Try deleting its plist file first.

It's path is Username/Library/Preferences/

You should be able to install if from disk 2 if I'm not mistaken.
  3. Heltik thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 16, 2002
    Thanks for the quick response :)

The plist thing didn't work, so I guess I'll have to restore it from my panther install set.

4. HexMonkey Administrator

Staff Member

Feb 5, 2004
    New Zealand
    If you haven't reinstalled already, have you repaired permissions? If not, go to Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility, select your system disk and click the Repair Disk Permissions button. The security update might have incorrectly set some permissions.
  5. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

Sep 18, 2003
    London, UK
    Heltic, don't do anything drastic! The same thing has happened to me as of the same date. I fail to believe that our systems have both buggered in the same way by coincidence! I've sent a bug report to Apple, have you?

Maybe Apple didn't program for the dire state of the dollar against the pound! :p