calendar software over the net?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Keebler, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

hi,

i saw the following article this morning:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/01/08/gadget.show.ap/index.html

it made me again wonder about something i think would be wickedly valuable for everyone, especially families - calendar/organization software over the web.
    for example, i'm a stay-at-home dad, running my own biz. my wife is self employed at her own office. we have 2 kids. thankfully, we haven't registered our kids in every bloody program available, but even swimming and beavers is busy enough. we both sometimes have appts at night too (never on the same night of course).

she's in a pc world while i have a pc, but really like to use my macs for obvious reasons. i thought it would be great to have an integrated solution where she could input data on her work system and me at home, click a button and it automatically updates onto ONE calendar for us both to see.
    this eliminates any dual entries meaning she doesn't have to do it once in her work calendar and then again in a family calendar. less entry means less items being forgotten :)

i realize that to some, this may sound like we're pathetically organized, but anyone with kids will realize we're not. i'm just trying to take the 'multi-coloured fridge calendar' to a better place.

i wish i was a smart programmer b/c this would fetch millions if it could be done right.

thoughts? it sounds like MS is on to something (as much as I hate to say it)....

cheers,
    Keebler

2. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

google calendar has been out for a long while now.

Awesome app it is- my brother and I have shared calendars that update automatically.

3. moonislune macrumors regular

Agree. Google calendar is easy to share and use between PC and Mac users. You can even access (Read-Only) your Google Calendar in Ical by subscribing to calendars shared by you and friends.

4. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

ok...lol i'm just now printing out a self adhesive label which says 'IDIOT' for my forehead. i think it's appropriate for me not checking the web throughly. what a knob :)

thanks guys. i'm checking this out right now.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yep! It goes both ways, too. Google Calendar can fairly easily get read-access to your iCal. :) I have it set up so that I have iCals on my iBook, iMac, and Google, and each of them sees all three. It's not as nice as one syncable calendar, but it's a start.

I think the biggest problem is a dearth of iCal system-based read-write calendar servers. It is, however, on the list of OS X Leopard Server features! :) So if someone like Google were to implement Apple's calendar server, you would be able to do read-write access of these calendars off it.

I'm at a university now where shared calendar systems are not that commonly used. When I was at Ford, though, people were religious about it (in Outlook). I really think it's a beautiful thing. :) It would be amazing if it were easily set up so that you could do that with anyone you wanted to.

6. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

The iCal integration really is great. Me and the brother have a calendar set up with everyone in the family's (and friends and whatnot) birthdays, so we each get a little reminder from iCal when something comes along.