Calgary Moves up Smoking Ban.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by trainguy77, Jul 26, 2006.

1. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

chicago passed a ban earlier this year which already went into effect for restaurants, but not yet for bars (next year).

there are all sorts of exemptions and special rules for restaurants with bars, and the net effect seems to be no reduction in smoking.

when the full ban goes into effect, i might start drinking again.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yep, works just fine here. Restaurants and bars aren't going out of business at any greater rate than they were prior to the ban.

4. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

5. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

In the November elections here in Phoenix the smoking-ban issue is going to be on the ballot. Not sure how it's going to go.

6. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Now there's a cause we can rally around!

W/O commenting on any larger issues, I will say smoking bans do kind of depend on the location of the cities.

Living in Austin the past few months, where there is a smoking ban, but nice weather and plenty of space for patios - seems different from Chicago, which has crappy weather and little space to expand.

Calgary, iirc, has a series of tubes connecting the downtown to save people from the freezing winters, which seems to make a smoking ban there kinda like having one on a moonbase.

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

you're confused -- that's an internet connection. i sent an internet through it yesterday.

8. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Here in Dallas this has been debated forever. Mayor Laura Miller wants a smoking ban in resturants, hotels and basically every other public place. The main argument is second hand smoke could potentially harm the health of other non-smokers. Which several studies, and a general surgeon's release has stated this to be true.

The oposition has stated that many local businesses cator to the "smoking crowd." Basically if people can't smoke in their facilities, they will lose a lot of business. Which that isn't fair now is it? Some argues this is a majority trampling on the minorities' rights. but you could take that vise versa...

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/1927687/detail.html

My opinion is this. If a resturant wants to allow smokers in there let them! I don't see a problem with it. I don't see where the local government gets the right to flat our ban smoking. It's very simple. If you don't want to be around smokers, don't go to these resturants, pubs, pool hauls ect... Let supply and demand be the factor. If the majority of dallas doesn't like resturants with all that smoke, then they will go elsewhere. Soon or later resturants will appeal to that crowd and bring in business. While others will allow smoking. You get the point. supply and demand. If the demand is for non-smoking resturants, it will come.

This is a tough issue. Because I do'nt like breathing someone else's smoke too. It's nasty. It's hazardous, its disgusting. But don't let hte "its' disgusting" attitude sway legislation to ban smoking. That's not right.

9. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

FYI the ban did get passed, though I did write several city members to turn it down.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Any smoking ban that involve bars is ridiculous. Basically, guys don't want their wives to know where they have been. :)

11. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Somehow, I knew that joke was going to be made - and likely by you (or possibly mactastic).

How did I know? Because I almost made it myself when initially posting...

As to the smoking ban - I soon will be back living in Portland (with no ban last time I was there) - and it is wierd going from a city with a ban to one w/o.

I am still a smoker, but have acclimated to the ban (in Austin) to such a degree that I am relatively uncomfortable smoking inside (when elsewhere) - as if I am being an arse, or doing something illegal.

12. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

I think you're thinking of Montreal.
    I only been in Calgary for a few weeks, but I don't remember any inside tube tunnels (could be that I just missed them, but...), though there's tonnes in Montreal.

13. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

With a little checking, courtesy of my Interwebtube™, Calgary does have a system of connected, sealed walkways downtown, callled the +15 system, connecting around 50 blocks or so.

Montreal is also bloody cold.

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm glad i could meet your expectations! :)

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i don't go to bars in chicago. i do go to bars in CA and NYC. it is exactly because of the smoking.

16. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Thanks for that. I'll have to check it out next time I'm there.
    Can't believe I missed it though :eek:
    Damn beer

17. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

We're undergoing a de-smoking at the moment. Not the city of Wollongong, the entire state of NSW.

First off they restricted smoking to one part of the pub and not within 5m of the bar area.

Now they've reduced the size of that smoking area.

By this time next year all pubs, clubs, workplaces, basically any public area where people congregate indoors (and outdoors too for restaurants I think) will be 100% smoke-free.

It's fantastic, when I moved down here I would come back from a night out anywhere with a rotten sore throat and reeking of smoke. Now I don't - makes for a much better night out.

18. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

It seems smokers are descriminated against in our societies today. Hated upon, outcasts.

19. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

While I am sympathetic to the argument that smokers are sometimes unfairly punished and demonized, it is unarguably an unhealthy activity that has been proven to harm others within a certain proximity.

The fact that smokers rights are eroding in an attempt to improve society's general health is a deal for the greater good - although I do lament the fact that we allow so much other patently unhealthy behavior to continue w/o comment. Of course, life is 100% fatal, so I am sure there is some interesting psychology in there somewhere.

In any case, my attitude on indoor smoking bans, even in bars is this:

If the Irish could manage it, then the writing is obviously on the wall and us smokers should either quit complaining or quit smoking.

20. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Santa Rosa, CA has proposed/passed something which takes this to the next level. There is a ban on smoking in public places, whether inside or outside, including outdoor dining areas and parks.

I'm all for a ban on smoking inside bars/restaurants, since it makes my going-out experience much more enjoyable. I'm not sure how comfortable I am about this next step, though. Smoking is legal, btw, so I'm not sure how far these bans can go.

link

21. Lau Guest

It's banned here in any enclosed public space (ie one with more than two sides, including the roof). As a non-smoker (but an ex-smoker) I'm chuffed to bits. It's much nicer going out for a drink, and I really noticed it going down south the other day. None of my friends up here smoke, so I don't really know how smokers feel about it. I'm sure it's fine in the summer (and you can smoke in beer gardens and the like) but I'm not sure it would be so much fun for them in horizontal freezing rain. :p I assume that's partly why they brought the ban in during April.

The only downside is that a lot of pubs smell of piss now, because the smoke was covering that up. Oh, and when you've just moved here and are trying to work out if a pub is nice or dodgy, they all look like the kind of ones where men in vests are hanging around outside, then you realise they're just smoking. :D

22. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

We have the C-Train. It mostly is above ground all the stations are above ground however there is a couple sections that go under roads. But most of it is above ground. It contributes to our Urban sprawl. :D

23. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Bars and clubs should be okay if anything. But NOOOOoooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOoooo. Non-smokers have to have EVERY SINGLE PLACE to themselves even though they have never been to, or don't go to most of them.

Just wait, when my anti-christ powers come to be, I will not only rule the earth, but smoking will be allowed EVERYWHERE just to piss these people off. That, and gummy bears will be noticed as the world's desert, and any politican who mentions the internet as "tubes" and says he got an internet sent from the internet SHALL DIE.

24. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Deep breath in.....

AWWWWwwwwwww................

I see the sore throat has cleared up, maybe you're on the old "medication" now? Eh? Are you on the old "medication" Oni? Are ya?

When I rule the world I'm going to spend inordinate amounts of tax-payer's money on shooting smokers where they stand.

How's that for a follow up?

- "Hey man, got a light?"
    - "No, but I've got this Uzi"
    RATATATATATATATATATATATATATA!!!!!
    - "Looks like he decided to quit..."

25. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I see your bet, and raise you 20.