Calibrating Battery

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by semaja2, Dec 14, 2005.

1. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys as you guys would know im getting my ibook 12" for a christmas present and as most people would know is that you get every eager and stuff and im thinking it will be hard to just keep it charging for 12 hours so what would be the bad things about not doing a full charge then a full discharge

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

If you don't calibrate your battery, the battery monitor will be incorrect. The compter may think the battery is empty when it is not and force sleep. The computer may think it is full when it is not and not charge all the way. You don't have calibrate it right away. Do a full charge that night while you sleep. Then don't charge it again after you use all the battery. The discharge doesn't have to happen all at once, but the recharge does.

3. semaja2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok thanks for the reply looks like ill have fun walkin around the house with my ibook that next day :D :p

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think you should calibrate it straight away because otherwise your battery may get overcharged later, which can be quite harmful in terms of how long the battery will last in years. Remember that you can use your new toy during the entire process though, whether it's plugged in or not. :)

Merry Christmas. :)

5. semaja2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol but ill want to try it out on my bed :p dont want to be restricted but i dont think it will be over charged becuase it will only be charged for short periods probally

Ps merry xmas to you to

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The combined cabling of my adaptor (before and after the brick) is about three metres, so maybe bed's still an option. :p

7. semaja2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol true, now when the ibooks in sleep it dont make much heat right?..stop looking at me like that its not like im going to sleep with it ;) :p

well unless anyone has any other opinons about recharging i dont think u guys need to keep posting :p

PS also if anyone knows if the ibook supports wpa-radius plz tell me

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, it's supported. In Apple terms, it's called WPA Enterprise though from memory. You'll need to know the RADIUS settings of course, and possibly the username and password. This info should only have to be entered once though. :)