calibrating screen

Discussion in 'Community' started by virividox, Oct 7, 2004.

1. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i need a program to help me calibrate my 17 pb screen for photo work

right now i see slight differences between my prints and images on my screen

iv tried tweeking using the apple utility but i cant get a match

im not expecting identical matches, but im looking for the most accurate one possible

any tips would be greatly appreciated
  2. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
  3. PixelFactory macrumors regular

Jun 6, 2003
    I would try Pantone's Color Spyder . I have used the original had pertty good results. You may even want to try Pofiler Plus to make a new profile for your printer and get even more precise results.
  4. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    What are you using for your print profile? Is it the one that came with the photo printer, or did you make your own?

Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, and how much it is worth to you to have good color matches, you can go through a someplace like and use their Color Valet service.

As for monitor calibration, X-Rite has a good system, Monaco Optix, that will run you a couple hundred dollars and includes a colorimeter. But keep in mind that your PowerBook display will change looks as you move it, so if you calibrate it, you will need to look at it at roughly similar angles for the calibration to matter.

I am assuming you've also set everything up in Photoshop's Proof Color setup as well?

I know these are relatively "high-end" solutions, costing a couple of hundred dollars, vs. Supercal's $20, but they will provide professional results, if that is what you are hoping for. If not, and this is a hobby, then you can ignore the post... ;)