Calibrating the battery w/o safe sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UmaThurman, Apr 2, 2007.

1. UmaThurman macrumors regular

UmaThurman

Hey y'all, I read the instructions for calibrating the c2d mbps, and i had a question. My base line c2d mbp doesn't go into safe sleep. It gives the warning around 2% and then drains to 0% and then just shuts off. It used to go into safe sleep, but not anymore. Is this a problem (it's wierd that it doesn't safe sleep anymore)? I plan on calibrating it tonight, and it popped up in my mind. Also, after 5 or more hours when you plug the power cord back in, do you leave it off or turn it on?

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

That's really strange. Have you installed any software or played around in the terminal recently?

I use SafeSleep on my Mac mini and iMac as well as my MacBook. Its nice to have all my documents pop back up in just a few seconds when the power goes out.

Have you repaired the permissions (not likely to work, but worth a shot)? The only way that I'd recommend to re-enable safe-sleep is an archive and install from your installation discs. If, however, you'd rather not you should back up you data and follow this awesome tutorial: http://andrewescobar.com/archive/2005/11/11/how-to-safe-sleep-your-mac/.

3. UmaThurman thread starter macrumors regular

UmaThurman

no, i didn't mess with anything like that (i wouldn't know how to anyways). I tried using that safe sleep widget after mine stopped working, but no good. I don't know what the problem is, maybe i should take it into an apple store? Does anyone know what the problem is?

Hey Fleetwood, could you please tell me how to do the archive thing? I have my install discs with me here at school.

Also, for calibrating, when i plug it back in the in the morning do i leave the computer off or on?

Thanks for the input!

4. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

If its under warranty just take it in. Now would be a good time to make sure you back up your documents/music/etc.

I'd suggest you reset the SMC and PRAM, but be careful because I recently did in a MacBook when I held the buttons down too long... http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303319 if you're interested. Doing an archive and install is as easy as putting your install DVDs that came with the computer in the drive, holding C on start up and following on the on screen instructions. When you get to the page that asks which volume you want to install on, select your hard drive and click on the customize button on the bottom on the window. From there, select archive and install. This will keep all your files intact, but has the potential for serious problems. Backup!!! You might already, but I can't stress it enough.

After you have calibrated the battery you can plug in your Mac and use it as normal.

5. UmaThurman thread starter macrumors regular

UmaThurman

okay, i think i'm going to buy an external hardrive sometime in the near future with firewire. After i back it up with that, then i'll make a trip to the closest apple store (80-90 miles away) and get it checked out. Thanks so much, i really appreciate the help!