Calibrating the battery

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nuks, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Nuks macrumors 6502a

Hey,

in the macbook manual, under calibrating the battery, it says "after the machine goes to sleep, turn it off or let it sleep for 5 hours or longer".

Does that mean turn it off for 5 hours OR let it sleep for 5 hours

OR

does it mean turn it off (and presumably start charging it again) OR let it sleep for 5 hours, and then charge it.

Thanks.

2. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I say, charge it fully, run it down to the point of it warning you, ignore and it will sleep itself. Leave that for 5 hours then start charging again.

It basically means when it is drained, either switch off and leave for 5 hours or let it sleep for 5 hours. Either way, do not have the mains connected for charging, let it rest on no power.

3. MoonCow macrumors member

what happens if i got my macbook like 4 weeks ago and i still haven't done that yet?

4. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Nothing, just your battery may not perform at it's best over time. Apple recommend you do this from brand new and then repeat every month ideally. If you don't, again, performance tends to dip a little faster.

I personally often forget to continually do this, but I do keep an eye on the charge levels using Coconut Battery.

5. Nuks thread starter macrumors 6502a