Calibration for 20" Apple Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by kanpachi, Jul 31, 2005.

1. kanpachi macrumors regular

Mar 1, 2005
    Hi Everyone,
    I just bought a Mac Mini and a 20" ACD to go along with it (thanks to the people who recommended this setup to me), but the Mac displays have always been difficult on my eyes since I am so used to looking at PC monitors (they seem crisper and softer on my eyes for some reason). Are there any particular calibration settings that I should use to make it easier on my eyes, or is this something that I just have to get used to? Is 2.2 gamma recommended? The monitor is nice and bright, but I am not used to it. I also lowered the brightness settings on the monitor to the lowest setting.

I tried using SuperCal, and it works pretty well, but my eyes still feel strained a bit. Is this normal going from a PC to a Mac?

Apologies if this is a silly question, but is it bad to calibrate your monitor? I'm not sure if changing up the gamma and brightness or whatever will affect the monitor in any way (like damaging the screen somehow). As many of you know, this monitor isn't cheap so I would like to keep it in pristine condition.

Would appreciate some advice. Thanks in advance!
  2. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    Don't think that calibration will hurt your monitor in any way. But I would day that the transition from standard PC gamma to standard Mac gamma will take an adjustment. Although, you could set it up for PC gamma if that is your preference. I just find it to be gloomy in comparison. :eek:

Congrats on your monitor.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]