California Congressman Resigns After Admitting He Took Bribes

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Nov 28, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002

add another republican to the scandal list. though i must say, the congressman seems to be handling it with more dignity than, say, frist or delay.
  2. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    And here I was ready to pounce on a Dem. I saw CA, and figured I shouldn't play favorites. Least he fessed up, so I'll give him that.
  3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Who were these military MegaCorporations feeding this politician? Thats what we need to know.
  4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

Jul 23, 2002
    Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
    Indeed. I say we revoke the contracts of any defence company found to be giving bribes.
  5. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

Jan 30, 2004
    having a drink at Milliways
    That would probably invalidate 99% of all defense contracts without any company left to fill the void.
  6. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

Dec 13, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    From Real Clear Politics:

Congressman Randy "Duke" Cunningham's "personal statement" to the public on June 23, 2005:

"First and foremost, I want my constituents to know that I have acted honorably and honestly....I welcome any and all appropriate investigations. I have faith that any investigation of these allegations will confirm that I have acted honestly....Recent press reports have incorrectly suggested that I secured a government contract for Mr. Wade’s company or that I improperly influenced the awarding of contracts to MZM. These reports are simply false...In short, I categorically reject any suggestion that I secured a contract for Mr. Wade’s company or that I supported funding of this important human intelligence program because MZM purchased my home in Del Mar Heights. I am deeply saddened by this distraction from my regular duties....I ask only that my constituents reserve judgment until any investigation is concluded and I have had the opportunity to defend myself against these false allegations."

Congressman Randy "Duke" Cunningham in court today:

A somber-looking Cunningham stood with his hands clasped in front of him, answering the judge's questions with a muted "Yes, your honor," or, at times, "Yes, sir."

"Between the year 2000 and June of 2005 in our district, you conspired to accept bribes in exchange for performance of official duties. Did you do that?" Judge Burns asked Cunningham.

"Yes, your honor," Cunningham replied.

"Did you take both cash payments and payments in kind?"

"Yes, your honor," the congressman said.

"Did you follow up by trying to influence the Defense Department?"

"Yes, your honor."

Amazing. With Cunningham and Ney, we have two bribed congressmen at one time in the 21st century.
  7. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Apr 22, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Yep, that's my congressman. :(

I am proud to say I voted against him. I never liked him. I mean, I almost always support Democratic candidates over Republicans, but there are some Republicans I like. This guy was way at the bottom of my list.
  8. tristan macrumors 6502a

Jul 19, 2003
    high-rise in beautiful bethesda
    Isn't there a "right" way to take bribes? You can take campaign contributions or free trips or get your unqualified cousin a job or have someone donate to your wife's charity or whatever.

Obviously, I don't mean "right" as in ethical, I mean right as in legal.
  9. katchow macrumors 6502

Feb 14, 2002
    Dayton, Ohio
    transcript of rush and randy riding their high horses (aug 17, 2004 swift vet rhetoric):

10. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    How'd I get here? How can I leave?
    Man, I remember when the movie "Top Gun" came out and everything 'fighter pilot' was the rage.
    Being an aviation buff I bought a documentary on the Top Gun School and Randy"Duke"Cunningham was the host. He was a Fighter Weapons School instructor. His service record is distinguished and by all accounts he is a good man.
    He seems to be cooperating fully with the authorities with disclosure and admits wrongdoing and seeks atonement.
    Essentially, he screwed up and is willing to take the heat.
    There is an old saying that power corrupts and I do believe it is applicable here. I truly wonder how much temptation is offered to Congressional reps on Capital Hill.
    I still believe Randy Cunningham is a good person and his current actions do offer proof of that. More so than most of his peers.
  11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    Admitting you are corrupt under threat of a prison term. Now there's a low threshold of goodness.

Cunningham denied having done anything wrong until now, btw.
  12. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    A bribe in hand is worth two in the Bush years.
    Now, if "I can atone" includes restitution of $$, that's a hue of atonement I'd like to see.