California GOP Faces Election Forgery/Fraud

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by diamond geezer, Apr 25, 2004.

1. diamond geezer macrumors regular

link

Shouldn't these people be in jail???

2. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

ARghh. Something more should happen than paying fines...

3. Freakk123 macrumors regular

Thats ridiculous... Claiming to be someone else in order to gain votes is terrible... I agree, jail time should be served.

4. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Naw! Our jails should be used to hold real criminals. You know, like people who get caught smoking marijuana. I mean, all these guys did was to disenfranchise voters thereby denying them one of our most basic rights in this country.

Our justice system is so screwed up. Money equals freedom in the land of big lawyers. And worse, at the higher levels, money equals the power to direct the laws of our land.

These people are scumbags. They should be in jail. Here's a thought: if people like this thought that there actually might be some reprecussions for their actions (for example, 5 years in the pokey and a $100,000 fine) maybe they wouldn't try this to begin with.

Taft

5. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Taft, I'm certainly in accord as to the jail time. But, do the FEC laws as written about this include that as a penalty? If not, it's the fault of the Congress.

How far down do you take it, regarding illegalities in campaigns? Poll workers who allow illegal voting, for instance? Crookedness in campaigning and voting isn't limited to Plesha's dirty tricks style...

"Our justice system is so screwed up. Money equals freedom in the land of big lawyers. And worse, at the higher levels, money equals the power to direct the laws of our land." Name me a country where this isn't the case? And, hasn't it been the case from the beginnings of courts and lawyers--not to mention, money?

Yeah, big money and big lawyers can sometimes get a guy off; ask OJ. It doesn't always work out that way, though, looking at some rich folks whose big lawyers couldn't keep them from doing time.

'Rat

6. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Why did it take six years for them to finally fine these people?

By the way, the Republicans did not even bother to put up a candidate in 2002 -- here were the election results:

Ellen O. Tauscher. . . . . . . Dem . . . 123,481 . . . 75.6%
    Sonia Esther Harden . . . . .Lib. . . . . .39,858 . . . 24.4%

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

'Rat, I'd assume some kind of wire fraud charges could be brought to bear here if there was the will to do so. Fraud is fraud is fraud you know.

And as to your 'name me a country where this isn't the case' it's not a matter of finding a guilt-free country to hold up as a shining example, but more a matter of finding one who is less affected by money than we are. I recall a list not long ago that listed the worlds nations by level of corruption. I don't recall the US being at the top of the 'least corrupted' end of the list.

Ah yes, here it is.

So there you go. We're #16. 15 countries manage to do it better than we do.

8. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Hadn't thought about the wire fraud. Or the mails, for that matter. I can guarantee you: Never get on the wrong side of a Postal Inspector. They have NO sense of humor.

Hokay, I'll check out the link. If our laws were like Singapore, with their style of punishments, we'd probably slide on up toward the top. :)

'Rat

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Or more like Finland? ;)