California may ban conventional lightbulbs by 2012

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by timswim78, Jan 30, 2007.

1. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

2. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Seen the look of Blade Runner with the lighting? Looks like we are heading that way.

3. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

nuts to fluro light, LED lights are the new rage, we sell tons of them at work. They are like 2 watts per unit on a puck light (the ones that go under the cabinet) as opposed to 50 watt Xenon bulbs traditionally used.

4. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

6. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

Can you dim an LED light? The flourescents just can't handle dimming. If so, I'm moving to LED throughout my house is possible.

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

It has to start somewhere, at the moment its just lip service from the feds and little else. Even after we were screwed by opec in the 70s our govt hasnt done squat. This is a baby first step but still a step. California will be a good example. Why we dont force every new home to have some type of solar heating or lighting is crazy with our current tech. The standard lightbulb is what a 100 years old now? we can do better.

8. timswim78 thread starter macrumors 6502a

timswim78

How do they look, compared to conventional and CFL lighting?

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

My full spectrum lights are fluorescent type but produce much brighter, whiter light than most. They're more expensive but last quite a while.

Considering how bad incandescent and typical fluorescent lights look, they're a better solution. Either way, it's time to become more efficient, especially when we need air conditioning.

10. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

It's a more white, strong kind of light as opposed to the slightly yellowed in conventional bulbs. I don't have any in my house yet (since I can take the old style stuff for free but my boss would cut my balls off if I took the LED ones) but they are moving really fast so I guess they work well or else people wouldn't pay the premium for them...

11. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I'm all for this kind of change. Temporary, minor inconveniences to consumers is a small price to pay for a huge benefit to the environment.

12. timswim78 thread starter macrumors 6502a

timswim78

Personally, I'd rather see innovations. Using fluorescent bulbs is really settling for crumby technology. They are superior in terms of energy use, but inferior to incandescent bulbs in functionality and aesthetics.

We can come up with something better if we work on it.

13. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Go Cali. On a serious note, this is a good change.

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I might like to point out that you can get Fluorescent that make like that are the same shade as normal light bulbs. Hell I currently have one of those in my room and really it does not bother my eyes like the normal white ones do. It really looks like a nomral light bulb.

I could see the lack of dimmers working bothering a lot of people because those a nice at times.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I just want an energy efficient light that doesn't make everything in the room look like poo.

Can I have that?

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

yes you can. *points to post above*
    They make Fluorescent lights that product the light that looks the same as what incandescent lightbulbs produce

17. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Sure! The throbbing sleep lights and backlit keyboards on Macs are handy examples.
    They can. For another computer example, the backlights in most LCD displays are fluorescent tubes, and they can handle dimming fine. The ballast in the light fixture needs to be a type that supports dimming, and the controls at the wall generally aren't the same ones you would use with incandescent lights, but this is all readily available stuff and not uncommon in commercial settings where fluorescent lighting is already the normal thing to use.

18. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

the best part, it's called the "how many legislators does it take to change a lightbulb act." i live in california, and i think it's a good piece of legislation.

19. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Of all the things that need to be banned in this state, they've got to come up with something stupid like that. :mad:

I would've banned scented laundry detergent and fabric softener; that would've been on top of my list. :cool:

20. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Way to skirt the bigger issues: (AHEM: enormous fuel hogging vehicles) but that's another topic.

What about Halogen? They put out a decent light and they seem to last forever. They do have some compact fluorescent lightbulbs that don't put out that typical fluorescent ugliness. LEDs are great as well.

This isn't the end of the world. It's nice to see the somewhere in the US actually giving a crap at all about this sort of thing at all. (before you snap at me, I'm a californian originally, this gives me some ribbing rights :p) It's either this or bitching when they raise the electric rates again and again and this way it actually helps conserve.

21. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

from the article:

"If passed, it would be another pioneering environmental effort in California, the most populous U.S. state. It became the first state to mandate cuts in greenhouse gas emissions, targeting a 25 percent reduction in emissions by 2020."

the bigger issues are already being addressed.

22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I think it's more to do with the brownouts and the overwhelmed power grid than a plan to combat waste but it's a start. Considering how Floriduh has been, I'm surprised they haven't even considered it, though this state is run by businesses.

23. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

halogens are very inefficient bulbs. Great for making like but they are still incandescent bulbs so a ton of the energy goes to just making a lot of heat and that much I do not have to argue about. There is a reason they are banned in a lot of places already and that is because they are a fire hazard. (Of course that did not stop me from using one as a desk lamp in my dorm room nor did a similar banned stop me from having a space heater in my dorm room.)

24. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I don't like the idea of the government telling me what I can and can't screw into my light sockets. I must have missed something. What's the problem with regular light bulbs?

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Once LEDs catch on, incandescent bulbs will be a thing of the past anyway. The biggest problem with compact fluorescent is the size. They can't be made small enough to use in candelabra style fixtures. At least, I haven't seen any. They also have the warm-up issue, which makes them impractical and annoying for lighting which is cycled on for only short periods (closets, etc.).