California Still Not a Declared Federal Disaster Area

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Oct 27, 2003.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Both Sen. Boxer and (still) Gov. Gray Davis have asked President Bush to declare California a federal disaster area because of the fires, but as of this morning, no action had been taken on the request. I don't recall disaster declarations taking this long in the past, and certainly the issue of whether California qualifies as a disaster area should not be in question. Amid the news crush over the fires, nobody is taking about the politics of this yet, but I have to wonder whether the White House is foot-dragging on this, and if so, why.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Punishment for voting Gore in 2000. Same reason Bush took a really long time to come out here after his election, and only really spent time here once he started taking heat for it.

Now he is willing to spend time and money here because a) he has a political ally in the governors house (well not the actual house, but the office) and he sees a chance to make the democrats spend lots and lots of money in Californias sinkhole of a TV market by putting forth a presence here. Little chance he will win the state, but he hopes to sap precious resources from the opposition here.

Zim, mid November is the last I have heard. Super, cause it means my diploma will have Arnolds signature on it.:rolleyes:

4. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The date I heard was Nov. 14, but I'm not sure if it's correct.

5. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Last I heard, we've got FEMA support, but still no official word from the White House.

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Sure no excuse for foot-dragging on this one.

How many houses, now? The Atlanta morning paper said around 600, IIRC, but the fires are bound to have gotten more. (Almost 5PM, EST.)

'Rat

7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Some of the AP and Reuters tallies place it at over 800 homes destroyed and over 300,000 acres burned.

This Reuter's story mentions Bush promising help, but not taking any specific action.

8. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Isn't this what home insurance policies are for?

9. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Please tell me you're joking.

10. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This image isn't nearly as dramatic as some I looked at yesterday, but it does provide some idea of the extensive area covered by the fires (taken 14:45 PDT). I also see a couple burning in Baja, which I had not heard about. For those unfamiliar with the geography, the area with the cluster of smoke plumes in the south is San Diego County (where I was yesterday), and the northern plumes are in Ventura County (where I live).

Attached Files:

11. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

So, don't even pay for home owners insurance then? Why pay for insurance if you are never going to collect if you incur damages agreed to on the policy?

12. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

This is about national disaster relief aid, not about handouts for people who lost their homes. Federal funds usually cover such things as:
    - Firefighter, police officer, emergency worker salaries, overtime, etc
    - Equipment costs
    - Aid to those who lost homes; food, water, shelter
    - Funds for repair of infrastructure

No-one ever said it would go to the people who lost homes, and to even suggest that it would belies an ignorance of what these funds are typically used for.

13. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The federal government does not pay for the reconstruction of homes or reimburse individuals for property losses. FEMA helps with cleanup and relief efforts and coordinates loans with the SBA for those who qualify.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I do believe we have finally gotten our Federal Disaster Declaration.

15. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Sorry. I had thought that declaration of a national disaster triggers govt handouts to rebuilding destroyed homes. FEMA is partially involved in this, via the Flood Insurance program.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And people will go and rebuild in those areas. Same as they do in flood plains and other disaster prone areas. When does personal responsibility kick in here?

17. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"When does personal responsibility kick in here?"

Right on! Eggzackly! Spoken like a proper conservative!

It's a refreshing change from the Modern American Mantra, "We need a government program to..."

I worked some with FEMA in its early days. Around 1977-ish, '78. Even before it took over some of the disaster relief work from the USCE, people had the idea that it would provide free cash for individuals. About the only benefit that kicks in is low interest rate loans to homeowners and businessmen.

Even elected officials at the municipal and county level don't understand that there are limits to the money available. They commonly self-insure against some more-rare events, and sometimes get bitten.

The bad thing about the federal subsidy for floodplain insurance is that the beachfront homeowner pays about 1/3 of the true premium; when a disaster hits, the taxpayers are out a fair-sized bundle. And then the doofi, having gotten a free ride, rebuild in the same danged place.

Be that as it may, it's always sad when folks lose their homes. It's not the house so much as the memories and lost memorabilia that really hurt...

'Rat

18. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

'Rat, your argument may seem so wonderfully logical but in reality it's a total fantasy. I defy you or anyone else to tell me where in the United States a person could build a home where it would not be subject to threat from one natural disaster or another. Assuming such a place could be found, would it be possible for everyone in the US to live there?

19. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Hurricanes and flooding near the coasts...
    Tornados and lightning strikes in the south and midwest...
    Earthquakes and hurricanes in the west...
    Volcanic eruptions in Hawaii...
    Snowstorms in the northeast and Alaska...

But since when has it been government's duty to provide homeowners insurance or rebuilding assistance? That is what the homeowner should have, and there is a private industry solution to this problem... private insurance companies.

If only Madison listened when he included 'general welfare' in the US Constitution, and the warnings of the anti-Federalists...

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Tell me the private insurance company that writes reasonably priced earthquake insurance for homeowners. When the big one hits, who do you think is going to pick up the tab here? And would it be better if California were left to rot after something like that?

21. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

But since when does the government actually do this? I think you'll find the government providing precious little in the way of insurance or rebuilding assistance. But haven't we been over this already?

That being said, one mistake I would not make is to assume that insurance companies are the best entities to decide where we should be able to live.

22. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Thats the beauty of it all...

If you don't like what the insurance company says, you can go get another one that you like.

23. Code101 macrumors newbie

Yes!

And now the Bush haters here can stop your hate comments towards the President! I don't think anything he could do, would make you guys happy. If a major quake hit you would somehow spin it to say that Bush caused it.

You got your Federal aid, now worry about getting the fire out, not hating Bush!

24. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Tried to buy any homeowner's insurance lately?

25. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I have no problem whatsoever in getting homeowner's insurance. I consider the premium quite affordable and reasonable.

When people choose to live in an area of known natural hazards, these hazards must be taken into account before deciding on the location/value of a house or the availability of appropriate insurance. If they don't exercise forethought, shame on'em.

I've spent more time in hurricane and flood country than earthquake and forest fire areas. Know a little bit about tornadoes...

My conclusion isn't new: "Nature bats last."

:), 'Rat