California unable to disarm 19,700 felons and mentally ill people

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MuddyPaws1, Feb 5, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jan/29/local/la-me-california-guns-20130130

Close to 40 thousand guns in the hands of people that are on the Armed Prohibited Persons list.

Working to enforce laws that are already on the books is something I fully support.

Cali says they need 25 million dollars to hire 50 people to get the guns. I question why it would take 25 million dollars for this.

2. macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

It's California, they don't know how to handle their money out there!

That and cost of living :D

3. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

That breaks down to $1,269.04 per person of "the more than 19,700 people to disarm."

When you think about the time to investigate the person's whereabouts, the time taken to arrest them, and the cost for paperwork, booking and jailing, that doesn't seem like a very big number to me.

4. macrumors 603

thekev

The article doesn't mention much in terms of breakdown. A submitted proposal would contain actual details and estimates of costs whether they involve personnel, fuel, security related expenses, and whatever else. I expect they'd also describe what has tied up their current resources. I couldn't find any indication of it requiring specifically 50 additional staff. Perhaps the OP was guessing there. These things really require full context, and I'm curious what is involved or if the offenders are ever violent.

It is a significant amount considering the budget problems here. My real problem with this kind of article is it lacks research of any kind. I have that issue with a lot of articles. If it was as simple as getting a list of addresses from the dmv and sending them a box + shipping label, it wouldn't cost very much. I'd imagine the costs aren't evenly distributed either.

5. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Please don't tell me that you think I implied they were.

6. macrumors 603

thekev

No. It was just casually written. It wouldn't have been subtle if I thought you were suggesting that:p. I was thinking of other various things that might factor in and how much is handled within that department. It doesn't mention if they intend to set up additional satellite offices or even just a greater presence at the county level with a portion of the funds. If they're extremely centralized, that would explain part of the time involved. I wish it was as simple as sending each individual a shipping label.