Call for a Greener iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 14, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Techcrunch points to a Youtube Video from Greenpeace which claims that Apple's iPhone has a high level of "toxic brominated compounds" and "hazardous PVCs".

In the video, Greenpeace calls for Apple to produce a more environmentally friendly iPhone. An online document details their findings. It should be noted that the iPhone does appear to be "compliant with the requirements of the EU's Directive on use of certain hazardous substances in electronics and electrical goods" based on the chemicals tested, but the paper still lists a number of potential concerns.

Article Link

2. macrumors 68040

Telp

Greenpeace constantly attacks Apple. They do this all time when there is clear proof that whatever green peace sees is wrong with the product, doesnt hold up compared to other reports. Not saying thats true about this too, just saying...

3. macrumors 6502

Sounds like they are just using a well known product to get their views across, How much more "dangerous" is the material inside the iPhone, than say a nokia N95? probably not much.

4. macrumors 65816

5. macrumors 6502a

Greenpeace can go to hell- those militants. Just another grab for publicity, because Apple wouldn't agree to their program. Yea, the program where Greenpeace gets to tell everybody what to do, or risk further bad publicity.

6. macrumors 68040

Telp

It is a publicity thing. I dont think apple products are any worse than any other products, (as stated above with the n95) but they are taking the big product and trying to create its downfall. It gets them heard, and hurts apple.

7. macrumors 68000

RichP

Yeah, their data is useless without comparison to other headsets. Take apart a nokia, take apart a samsung, and take apart a motorola and then I can make an accurate assessment of apples commitment, or lack thereof, to the environment.

8. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I might like to point out if some one like apple cleans up their products generally speaking other companies will follow suit so targeting a company like apple that has it products in the press all the time is the correct way to go if you want everyone to change.

9. macrumors 68040

synth3tik

But that would discredit their attack on Apple and then where would they be?

10. macrumors 68040

Telp

The point is that there is no evidence that really says apples iphone isnt green. Just because greenpeace says it isnt doesnt make it so. Apple is always targeted by greenpeace even when they have done "nothing wrong".

Who cares. Its greenpeace.

11. macrumors 68000

Me1000

And how "green" was it when they flew the iPhone over the ocean to do tests?
    I mean
    1. they could of done the tests in the US
    2. they could of waited till it came out in the UK

seriously...

:rolleyes:

12. macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Ok what is so toxic in an iPhone? Apart from the chemicals in the screen and battery what else is sooo toxic? Seems to me that Greenpeace wants attention attacking Apple to get attention, any other phone has similar internal parts so what the f??

-Victor

13. macrumors newbie

How can I get a less green iPhone? I'm sick of these environmental wackos.

14. macrumors newbie

:rolleyes: And you know, millions of these iPhones are being buried in dumps right now, leaking their pollutants into the environment.

15. macrumors 65816

benlee

The iPhone is Black. They needed to do studies to find out it wasn't green?:D

Attached Files:

16. macrumors 6502a

cloudnine

Hah

I think it's amusing that the report page isn't viewable via the iPhone... Hah.

17. macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

HAHA they used a Mac to make the video (deducing from apple loops used in the song). And those things in the headphones are also on other headphones right?

-Victor

18. macrumors 6502

The Frozen Waste...wait. Duluth, Minnesota.
    Ever since they were kicked out of the Apple event...

They just attack anything apple does.

As far as I'm concerned, Greenpeace can go f*** itself. They base all of their reports off plans, not what companies are doing (except in the case of apple, where they base only on what apple hasn't done that others have plans to do, and what they don't do before they say they will do it.) I can't believe they would say that " This isn't the right step for their plan to phase out Br (or what ever) by 2008." Congrats. It's still 2007.

19. macrumors regular

It is so hilarious you are all attacking a Non Profit that is trying to make companies produce less hazardous products. How, other than sheer lack of intelligence, does it make sense to actually defend apple? At the very least, you have nothing to lose by demanding greener products. And of course they use Apple as a target, they are popular. In addition, many people that use Apples take the environment seriously, and it's alarming to many that certain products we all love are more harmful to the environment than they should be.

And because all of you seem to enjoy bickering like idiots without any background information to back up your inane comments....for your information...

using the exact same criteria for each company on ranking of 1-10, 10 being the "greenest" Samsung, Motorola, Sony-Erikson, and Nokia are all ranked above a 6 (Nokia is an 8) and Apple is ranked 5.5.

Don't be so quick to write off Greenpeace. They often use inappropriate methods on getting their message out, but they have done incalculable amazing things for our planet. The fact that they are always in the news about their "extreme" message is proof that using shock tactics works.

20. macrumors regular

La Porta

Sure there is a detriment to Apple by making a "greener" product: it will be more expensive. Plus, what is their beef anyhows? That it is toxic to people, or toxic when it is disposed of? Either way, everything is toxic to people, and I don't think that the technology to make a biodegradable iPhone yet exists. Post-consumer paper would make for a lousy capacitor...

21. macrumors regular

techage14

this is soo stupid!!
    hey, im all for conserving our planet, but, when they have to keep
    constantly attacking apple products, thats extreme and nothing more than a
    publicity stunt, as other people said. I really hate when environmental groups
    go overboard on such things as cell phones and computer mouses.:mad:

22. macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Could you link to the rankings you provided? I'm not doubting you, but they're not in the article in the OP. And do those numbers relate to all of a companies electronics or just the phones. And when were these rankings publshed? (This is all important as touch-screen phones are fairly new)

Its been debated in the past whether Greenpeace skews the results to make Apple come out near the bottom. Sure they may use the exact same criteria for each company. But which criteria they measure and how much they each weigh can be just as subjective.

23. macrumors 68000

thechidz

electronics, and particularly cpu's, are bad for the environment. there is no way around this, it is just a fact of life. On a comparison based level, because there are soooo fewer apple products than windows based products cell phones etc. Apple is making a very small dent in what is already a million semi loads full per day... They are making Apple a scapegoat. Fact.

24. macrumors member

Wonder if they told Mr. "I won a Nobel Peace Prize on something that has nothing to do with Peace" yet...

The minute he finds out how "poisonous" the iPhone is to the environment, think he'll drop off the board?

25. macrumors regular

it is the company as a whole, but for instance...Nokia doesn't make anything but phones, and they have two companies for Sony, one being their phone division. You can find the latest article on greenpeace.org. They update their greening electronic campaign every month or so. They don't attack apple anymore than they attack other companies. It is just that news media cover the Apple attacks more. And like I said before, it makes sense to attack apple, because it gets the message out there. Plus, the members of greenpeace are all apple users which makes it even more personal, because they would all like to be using greener products as well.