Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NiroshanMan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
I know on other phones that you can type in a number of a local place, without typing the area code, making it assume you are calling locally. But everytime i type in just the number the automated person speaks telling me i have to type in the area code. Is there a way to make it so that my area code comes up before i type in my number, or that it would assume that i would be calling locally?

tehfrag

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2008
I would also be interested to know if this is possible. there are 2 area codes in my area (414 and 262), most everyone i know has the 414 area code, but my iphones number is 262 area code. I'd like it to default to the 414 area code if you just use a 7 digit number if its possible.

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
Actual four numbers 1-413-***-****. Its just that other cheap phones can do this easily, why can't the iPhone?

i dont think ive ever had to put in a 1 when calling long distance. atleast not that i remember.

and ive been used to putting in 10 digits for a number for so many years already now that its a habit.

drewfus

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2006
Evanston, IL
i dont think ive ever had to put in a 1 when calling long distance. atleast not that i remember.

and ive been used to putting in 10 digits for a number for so many years already now that its a habit.

Yeah, I can't remember the last time I dialed a 1 in front of the area code. My mom still does it and I continually tell her she doesn't need to, but I guess it's force of habit. :)

I know that from land lines there are some places where you don't need to dial the area code for a local number, but I don't know if it works from cell phones.

davyreins

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Ann Arbor
I don't need to put in the area code when I dial local. I've never had a cell phone where you needed to do that, the iphone shouldn't be an exception. I'm not sure what the problem is with yours. I imagine it would be kind of a pain to always have to dial an area code when it shouldn't be necessary in the first place.

pcorrado

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2008
Chicago, IL
I don't have this problem (my area code is 773) and if i dial 123-4567 it will assume i meant 1-773-123-4567, in addition, I never have to dial one before the area code...maybe a restore is needed?

radiotowers

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
Virginia
This isn't an iPhone problem. It's something to do with AT&T - and perhaps only in certain regions. Prior to the original iPhone, I was with Verizon, and never had to dial 10 digits to make a local call. Since switching to AT&T, I have to use the area code or it won't connect. My wife's RAZR2 on AT&T is the same way.

ok now HERE is an interesting question. How many of you people have to dial the area code from your LANDLINE? Because I know in my area (dallas) we didn't need to dial the area code until about 10 or so years ago. So I'm not sure if you all have converted over or not. clearly if you don't have to dial the area code on a land line you won't on ur cell phone. (I don't think?)

And then if you have to dial an area code from your landline then why is it so difficult to do the same from your cell phone? I mean really?

B's iPhone

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
Where it's cold
Maybe I'm just not understanding the original post but why wouldn't you just add in the area code with the number when you set up that persons contact info?

NiroshanMan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Maybe I'm just not understanding the original post but why wouldn't you just add in the area code with the number when you set up that persons contact info?

I DO have to do that when i make a contact, but lets say i call someone thats not on my contacts or if someone borrows my phone to call someone else?

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
there are so many numbers now that at least decently sized/ big cities have more than 1 area code. so doing this wont work. unless you live in like a very small town or something that only has 1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.