Call of Duty 2 Demo Out

Discussion in 'Games' started by SpaceMagic, Jul 4, 2006.

1. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I don't play games often, but I've just downloaded Call of Duty 2 beta demo from Aspyr. It is so involving, to a level I didn't realise possible on a game.

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I downloaded it (took forever) and it was pretty good on my quad G5 with the GeForce 7800 GT - but on the 24" monitor at 1920x1200 I started getting a little vertigo since I was moving to fast.....

I'll need to play the game from across the room so I don't get sick - bleh :D

D

3. chairguru22 macrumors 6502a

so involving? the game is great but i wouldnt give it that much credit. :D
    and it runs great on my macbook

4. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

it runs great on your MACBOOK??? at what settings?
    i have everything on high on my MACBOOK PRO (1440x900/all textures on high/ 6x anti-aliasing anisotropic filtering etc ) and it runs great, but that's a macbook PRO i have with 256MB of vRAM. what do you have it set to on your macbook?

5. keithbennis macrumors regular

keithbennis

6. SpaceMagic thread starter macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I ran it great on my 1.8 G5 with 2gb Ram and a crappy 5200fx 64mb! Anti x2.

7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

You bastard!! :D

You out-classed me by one inch!

I bought the game, playing on my Quad with 7800 GT, and playing at 1920 x 1200 rez.... but.... on the 23" Apple Cinema Display. :p

What a gr8 game it is, though... very good.

Must admit I like those Aspyr's WW II FPS (MOH series, COD 1 series), so making me like this game was easy....

8. The Senator macrumors regular

The Senator

I keep getting this error all the time about "fs" i have no clue, but the game runs great with all the settings as high as they go. I might buy the game

9. Tehy macrumors regular

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Ran surprisingly well on a macbook, good job aspyr for a change.

But even on high at 1680x1050 on my powermac with x800t - it still didnt look as good as my xbox360 version at 1080i or 720p on my big screen. Not sure why.

Textures seemed more detailed or bumpmapped or somthing on the 360 version.

Still very good though, just small differences that's all.

11. skibob1027 macrumors member

Is there any real difference between the Aspyr adaption and the regular Activision game for Windows?

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

One runs on a mac :D

I imagine it's very small differences, like I say about the textures/bumpmapping and things.

But this is definetly way above the usual pisspoor standard of some of aspyrs conversions (rollercoaster 3 - cough cough)...

Hopefully the switch to Intel and more standard GPU's in our machines, and the possiblity of virualization in future versions of OSX - will mean the standard of conversions will continue to improve.

13. chairguru22 macrumors 6502a

settings werent great. graphics looked OK but no where near the level they can be. Id say an average looking PS2 game. but they were the highest settings i was given the option for and the game ran smoothly.

14. keithbennis macrumors regular

keithbennis

Yeah- I just played the level and got my men through it lol. I was expecting better graphics, but regardless it was still Intense, just like it says. I suppose you just gotta be into the whole FPS war game scenario to enjoy it to the fullest. I'm looking forward to the release of the game... more importantly multiplayer.

15. ibookowner2 macrumors regular

ibookowner2

The game has been out for a while now.

16. keithbennis macrumors regular

keithbennis

We're talking about Call of Duty 2, aren't we?

17. keithbennis macrumors regular

keithbennis

Yeah, When I put the game in a harder mode other than Easy, every so often I get the error "FS_HandleforFile: none free" message and I have to restart it from where it saved last...... anyone know about this?

18. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

I'd assume he's talking about COD:2. It's been out for XBOX 360 and PC since Fall 2005...

You're referring to the Mac port yes?

19. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

The Mac port has been out for a couple of weeks.

Anyone who enjoyed MOH or the first COD series should seriously go out and buy this game. :cool:

20. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

In case anyone is interested, I just tried it with the powerbook in my sig and my 21" monitor at 1680x1050. It was very playable with all other settings down and still looked quite good. Maybe I'll buy it.:D

21. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I'm going to give it a shot on my 1.33GHz Rad 9700 PowerBook and 1.4GHz GF6800GT G4 tower; I expect it to suck but I like to try and fiddle to see how good it will get...I was able to get Doom 3 to run acceptably, so maybe...but when I pick up my MacBook Pro this fall CoD 2 will be my first software purchase!

I was a big fan of the first CoD. So far the hardest thing about CoD 2 is to not play it on friends computers and spoil everything before I get my own copy running.

22. gbalt macrumors newbie

Works great, default settings are lame

The game sings on my G5 dual 1.8. Although the default settings were way below the capacity of the comp and the video card. I set most things to max or close thereto and everything is smooth except for when smoke grenades fill the screen with smoke, then it's a slide show.

As far as captivating gameplay... This story has already been done a couple times, so it becomes a continuation of a theme. The gameplay and movement control doesn't compare with say, Splinter Cell.

23. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

This is NOT a mac problem. It does EXACTLY the same on PC & Xbox 360. This is a game engine flaw.