Call of Duty 2 Mac VS Call of Duty 2 PC

Discussion in 'Games' started by thechris69, Jul 28, 2006.

1. thechris69 macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2005
    When deciding to purchase Call of Duty 2, the version for pc is generally cheaper because it has been out longer... So is there any substantial difference between the 2 versions other then supporting a Mac game developer in Aspyr???
  2. topgunn macrumors 65816

Nov 5, 2004
    I think Aspyr's ports leave something to be performace. I would save the money and buy the PC version. You should get a few more frames per second and know that everything will work like it should. Unless of course you don't want to boot into Windows everytime you want to play.
  3. Killyp macrumors 68040

Jun 14, 2006
    Mind you though, I saw Call Of Duty 2 running on a Dual G5 with a 30" ACD full res, and it was amazing!!!!! Perfect performance....
  4. drummerbooker14 macrumors 6502

Jul 11, 2006
    yes i believe it would run better in windows, not to say it won't run fine in osX as well, it all depends on what computer with what ram ur using
  5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    Needed a super grfx card though... ;)

In the end any game running on a top end PC will get more fps than on a top end Mac.
    But a game like COD 2 will run fine on a Dual (Core) G5 with enough RAM and a good grfx card. Added the fact that I like supporting the Mac game developers I buy the Mac version. ;)

Only down side is the absence of 5.1 surrond sound support....

I am hoping for the successor of the Power Mac to be able to be Boot Camped :)D ) but with support for, say, the SoundBlaster X-Fi card....
  6. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

May 26, 2006
    Assuming you're comparing a mac and pc with similar specs you will almost always get better 3D gaming performance on a PC because most games are originally written for windows and then ported to OS X.
  7. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

Aug 2, 2002
    As far as I can tell, character shadows don't work on intel Macs. No soft shadowing or Dual Core optimization yet.
  8. thechris69 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2005
    so can you play online between mac and pc users? im going to be picking up the intel imac after WWDC so the performance should be fine... so is there really that much difference to not go with the mac version?
  9. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

May 26, 2006
    If the game is a universal binary n ur not some game freak that fusses over 1-3 fps than just get the mac version.
  10. thechris69 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2005
    Who knows where the cheapest place to buy the call of duty 2 mac version?
  11. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    Amazon is usually the cheapest place. Aspyr uses Amazon as their "online store." Sometimes Inside Mac Games will run specials, so check them out, too.
  12. primalman macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    at the end of the hall
  13. macrobat macrumors regular

Aug 31, 2006
    I have the pc version and I noticed a lot more map mods, and really good ones online. I dont remember seeing any on the mac side but not sure if the source is pc only so you cant load modded maps? maybe someone can clarify that for me. If that was the case then pc for sure.
  14. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    London Town
    I'd definitely go with the PC version. Purchasing the OSX version of Civ IV was one of the single worst purchasing decisions I've made. There is very little support for the Mac version - not only from Aspyr (who have released one patch which seems to do very little - and are yet to release the expansion pack which has been available to PC users for a good while) but also from the game-playing community. Civ IV is a game which can have a lifespan far beyond what would come with the original game as so many people are making mods and extra maps - none of which seem to work with the Mac version.

Also, the Mac version is apparently slower than the PC version. Although I've only played the Mac version so I can't vouch for this.

And, worst of all, I had to pay £40 for the pleasure. The PC version only costs £15 :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  15. pengu macrumors 6502a

Mar 20, 2005
    Diddily Daddily...
    Just thought i'd add my two cents.

I have CoD2 and it runs like a dream on my G5 (dual 2ghz, 3gb ram, 6800 Ultra)

I have only once come across a mod/map/gametype/etc for CoD (and that was CoD1) that wasnt compatible across platforms.

It plays fine online, and there is now the 1.3 patch for Mac, which brings it up to the same version as on PC.

If i were running it on an intel mac, i doubt I would bother rebooting into windows to play. Apart from the inital delay, I have yet to see a reason to run it under windows.