Call of Duty 2/Mac

Discussion in 'Games' started by Bosphorousman, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Bosphorousman macrumors newbie

I just received this game about 2 weeks ago and I must say, I'm very impressed! Of course, I'm 50 something years old and not a real gaming enthusiest.
    My problem is this:
    I am to the level of fighting in North Africa and have just overtaken the armored car. While driving through the streets and shooting the guys on rooftops who have RPG's aimed at me, I turn a corner and come across 2 German troops on a roof to my right and 2 on the ground, to my left, with a tank in the middle.
    As I start shooting, the car stalls out and I'm left as a "sitting duck". There is no way, that I can see, to shoot all 4 enemy troops before they get me, while sitting in the middle of the road. Help!!!

I checked out this site: http://guides.gamepressure.com/callofduty2/guide.asp?ID=335

They don't mention anything about the armored car stalling. They seem to assume you will keep going. I don't know how t get any farther with this...

If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

2. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

I dont have an answer for you but I just want to slap a high five to a 50+ year old purchasing a FPS game. I'm upper 30's and I thought I was one of the oldest getting my rear handed to me on the multiplayer version!!!

Good luck, it is a blast!!!

3. aholden12592 macrumors regular

what i would do is try shooting the people on the roofs first because they will most likely have panzers. What i would also say is keep trying different methods. for example - shoot the car first then roof, tank then car, etc. i also got that game for mac and it took me a couple of tries to get past that level.what's your screen name? maybe i'll see you online sometime. mine's SgtCrappleberry

4. mowogg macrumors 6502

mowogg

Alternate weapons

As a mid-40s gamer, it's good to see some more "mature" CoD players. Most of the time I'm playing against 11-year olds online.

Have you tried using other weapons? I haven't gotten to that point yet, I play multiplayer mostly, but you might have some grenades that you could lob at the Axis on the ground, and then try and take out the rooftop shooters. Also, smoke grenades can help you confuse your enemy.

Hope that helps!
    Rob

5. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

yep, go for the 2 on the rooftops then the 2 on the ground.
    When the 4 are gone the vehicle starts again ( I think it starts again been a few months since i've played it).

6. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I noticed you have a MB. I was considering getting COD2 for mine. How well does it play on your MB? I have the white 2Ghz with 2GB ram.

7. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I got stuck at that point for days and even posted a thread here about it. I don't remember what I did but I do remember restarting the mission and finally getting through it. I think I may have ditched the armored car's gun for my own weapon and used a grenade for the guys on the left.

8. Bosphorousman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Rob,
    The only other weapons I have are the machine gun (that I have to reload in the middle of the fire-fight) and grenades. I've tried all combinations but nothing has worked yet. I will keep trying... but it is very frustrating. Might try the smoke grenades though.

9. Bosphorousman thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Bern,
    Yes, I'm running CoD2 on a Macbook Pro 17"/2.16 GHz/2GB RAM and it runs great!

I would think you would have no problem running this game.

Enjoy!

10. Bosphorousman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, mojohanna,
    Just want to say that I'M NOT DEAD YET!!!! :D

The reason I got this is because my son will be in Iraq in just a few days. I thought this might help me realize some of the stress (although in different forms these days) he may have to go through. Plus, this game IS addticting and it came highly recommended!! ;)

11. sweet160 macrumors regular

sweet160

word?

For real?

12. Bosphorousman thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. I know the term "combat" is not even close today to what it meant during WWII, but at least then, you knew who your enemy was... :( :mad:

13. Bosphorousman thread starter macrumors newbie

748s -
    Do you think grenades at the ground guys to the left would help?

14. Bosphorousman thread starter macrumors newbie

Single player

Btw everyone,

I'm in no way ready to battle others online. I struggle enough as it is trying to get through the game, just worrying about me! ;) :confused: :D

I really appreciate all of your replies!

Thank you all very much!

I'm always in need of coaching! :eek:

15. aholden12592 macrumors regular

actually i have a macbook and the old iMac G5 (no intel but pretty good - 2.1 ghz, 1 GB RAM, ATI X600). I'll install just for you. i heard it's playable though.

16. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

I just used the gun on the car. Took a few attempts. Took out the rooftop guys, then the tank, then the others on the ground.

17. aholden12592 macrumors regular

ok so i installed the game on my macbook and im gonna make a new thread for the results but here's what i got

all of this is at 1024x764 (highest resolution possible on macbook)

normal graphics: very smooth and graphics are still good
    high graphics: still smooth and only significantly slows down at times of smoke + many people shooting at you
    extra graphics: perfectly smooth EXCEPT WHEN ANYBODY AT ALL IS SHOOTING AT YOU

in your case - i only have 1 gb of Ram so it should work even better with you:) :)

18. Bosphorousman thread starter macrumors newbie

Not getting any farther

Ok,
    I've tried all of your suggestions and I''m sorry to say that I'm not getting any farther than what I was before. I'm beginning to think that it is due to my age...:confused:

When I AM lucky enough to get all 4 enemy gunners out of the way, I start shooting at the tank and then I get blown up by someone I never see. I'm thinking I'll be stuck here forever... :(

19. Bosphorousman thread starter macrumors newbie

Well,
    I stand corrected!
    I got past that point!!! A LOT farther!!
    Just shot down some enemy planes with the anti-aircraft gun! :) :) :)

Thank you all for your help!!!

Hopefully, I can navigate the rest on my own but I will always be grateful to you for your assistance. :) :)

20. saba macrumors newbie

saba

Throw a smoke grenade, so as the tank reverses......you run them over!