Call of duty 2

Discussion in 'Games' started by aussie_geek, May 28, 2006.

1. macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

has anyone bought this? what's it like? I'm thinking of picking it up tomorrow

aussie_geek

2. macrumors 65816

A friend of mine just uses it for Multiplayer - another said the solo action was fairly dull and linear.

3. macrumors 6502a

I use both and i think the single player is one of the best in any WW2 Shooter

4. macrumors 65816

Well Aussie, I hope this answers your question! Haha! :confused: Best go buy it...

5. macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    The solo on Veteran is incredibly hard but very gratifying. It pisses you off, makes you throw thing at the tv, and best of all, keeps you playing it.

The multiplayer (at least, on the 360) is decent, though only 8 people at a time, it can be great fun.

6. thread starter macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

Yeh - just ordered it!!

I will be running it on my G5 (see sig) - it only has the default 9600xt graphics card. I know it is the minimum spec card...

how will it run on that??

aussie_geek

7. macrumors 603

Just for kicks I'd be interested to see how it runs (if at all) on your Powerbook.

8. macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I JUST bought it at the Pioneer Place Apple store. I sold some PSP games at EB to afford it and now I'm sitting in Coffee People playing it (and being on MR). Its amazing! Not as good as my all time favorite HL2 but still a vast improvment over CoD1 and a ton of fun to play. Its got my vote!

9. macrumors 65816

voyagerd

I had it preordered on Amazon since April 12th, but they never got it. I cancelled the order on Friday and ordered it from Apple. It shipped on the same day. Go Apple.

I hope the game will run on my 12" PowerBook.

10. macrumors 68040

applemacdude

11. thread starter macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

hee hee - it should JUST run... minimum spec is a 1.5GHz processor. it has the ATI 9700 mobility radeon 128 MB in it so yes, it will be interesting..

UPDATE: The Visa needed a scorching so I just ordered a Radeon x800xt for the G5 - seems like the graphics dilemma will not be an issue now :D. Maybe Quake 4 will be in order for next week. I will post the frame rates achieved on the PowerBook and the G5 with the 9600 and the x800xt.

I ended up ordering it from OWC. The price for this card in .au is well over $800!!

aussie_geek

12. macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Call of Duty 2 is an awesome game.

Now I just need a video card that doesnt choke half to death on it. o.o'

13. thread starter macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

What's the multiplayer like? Are there heaps of PC h4x0r's with wallhacks and aimbots? Is it as bad as COD 1 and United offensive??

aussie_geek

14. Moderator emeritus

yellow

I bought it for the PC last week. It's a pretty good game, but slightly different in CoD in that there's no heals anywhere. So it makes me wonder how many times I can get shot it the face before I go down. :)

Good action though, and better AI than CoD. Still solid graphics and cool missions. If you liked CoD, this one is worth it. IMO.

AFAIK, CoD2 has punkbuster.

15. macrumors 6502a

a good description. I got it for the 360 over the weekend and have to say this is dead on.

16. macrumors 65816

voyagerd

Anyone want to post frame rates for the Mac version on various machines?

17. macrumors 6502

RollTide

The multiplayer is good, tons of folks play and I have had only one game where a guy could not be killed, but you can vote them out, other than that no cheats that I have come across. I like the no health pack thing. I went back to playing cod1 and I realized how having to search for medical kits just seem to take away from the game.

Anyway, a shot from a kar98, enfield, springfield will generally do the job in one show, Gewher takes 2 most of the time, as well as m1 garand( get good with that gun) Thompson may take a whole clip(like 2.5 seconds), but definetly one of the most effective "room brooms" in the game, but the Mp44 is versatile and my personal favorite. Hmmm bout all I can think to say right now, don't play capture the flag, too addictive.
    P.S. Sry for bad grammar, its late!

18. thread starter macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

I know what you mean there - that's all I play in COD UO!! It is always great when you call artillery strikes on the enemy flags!! :D :D

aussie_geek

19. macrumors 6502

mowogg

Does anyone know how to enter a specific server address in CoD2? It doesn't seem possible like it was in CoD1 and I can't find the Dread server in the server list.

Great game. Slightly different controls from 1 and UO.

BTW, plays great on my 1.8 G5 with an ATI 9800 in full screen at 1680x1050.

20. macrumors regular

I'm really glad to hear that. I'm running a single 1.8 G5 also with an ATI x800. The processor was only the minimum so I was a bit worried.

21. macrumors 6502

mowogg

Voice Chat

I noticed that CoD2 has voice chat built in, and in fact started up my iSight when I loaded the game.
    Does anyone know if it works on the Mac or has any special requirements for the Mac like Ventrilo and the other (can't remember the name right now) have?
    I only have played about 45 minutes since getting teh game last night. A few of the maps are re-workings of the UO maps, but look A LOT better.

22. macrumors 65816

voyagerd

Yay, I have a single 1.8 G5 with a 9800 too!

23. thread starter macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

There was a post in this thread about no health packs in the game. Is this true? What about multiplayer??

aussie_geek

24. macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

As I recall there really isn't a need for health backs, esp since (iirc) there is no Health Meter either.

It works really well... though I only played the demo. Multiplayer, I have heard, is still pretty buggy.

25. macrumors newbie

wilco440

I've always wonder how to find out this info. Anyone got any suggestions?

CoD2 arrived yesterday and plays OK on my iMac 2 GHz PowerPC - visually impressive even compared to UO - but from what little I've so far lived through, things start to slow down enormously whenever things get complicated (ie in the big square in front of the building which you need to demolish in the first Russian campaign...).

But its still pretty impressive.... a fantastic evolution of the original game.