Call of Duty File Downloads

Discussion in 'Games' started by mowogg, Oct 12, 2004.

1. mowogg macrumors 6502

mowogg

I have CoD and a DSL web connection. I get 80K/sec to 100K/sec connections and downloads as a rule.
    When I get mod files from within CoD, my download rate is consistently about 7k to 10k/sec. This makes it take a long time to get even 2-3meg files. I understand that the server may have limited upload bandwidth, but I'm not sure if I could get faster speeds by making any changes on my machine. I do have the network connection set to DSL in the game and it happens on servers with low (30-40) ping rates.
    Is this just par for the course?

TIA,
    Rob

2. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

ive noticed something similar when I used to play Jedi Academy online. I asume you talking about downloading mod's within the game so you could join a certain server. well, the reason its so slow is because you downloading from the people who are playing the game, so obviously they are playing, and constantly uploading/downloading information, thus, sence your uploading off of them, its gonna go slow. From what ive seen, you get <1kb/s per person in the game.

Its always best to find the mod file on the internet first before you join a server that requires it.

3. mowogg thread starter macrumors 6502

mowogg

That's What I Thought

Thanks. That's pretty much what I figured, and yeah, I do mean downloading from within the game. I have found that a lot of servers have mods that are hard to find outside of that server and it's hard to find the website of the server which may have the files. I like to play TDM on servers that are low ping to the West Coast and it's hard to find any that don't have mods. At least you only need to DL once.

Thanks again!