Call of Duty - how to activate the console?

Discussion in 'Games' started by MichielM, Sep 15, 2005.

1. MichielM macrumors newbie

I bought Call of Duty and would like to play it in the widescreen mode on my 20" iMac, according to readme I can do this by typing the following commands in the console:

seta r_customwidth 1680
    seta r_customheight 1050
    seta r_mode-1
    vid_restart

I have turned on the console option and according to the readme I can access it by pressing the ~key. The problem is that I have a Finnish keyboard, so no dedicated ~key... The shortcut to get the ~key does not bring up the console... Any tips how to access it? I want to start the game from the beginning in widescreen:)

2. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

There should be an option under "graphics." Choose Widescreen and hit "apply."

3. MichielM thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, I am running CoD 1.5 an in graphics there is unfortunately no such option. There are some available resolutions but they do not fit the 20" iMac completely :-(

4. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

You should be able to change the key bind for the console in its config file. Go to Your Home Directory > Library > Application Support > Call of Duty > Main, There will be a config file for both Single Player and Multi Player. Open them up and look for the line 'bind ` "toggleconsole"'. Replace ` with what ever key you want. You can also set your video settings in the config files also.

5. MichielM thread starter macrumors newbie

COOL! It worked, now playing CoD in widescreen:) Thanks!

6. Mitch81 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've been having the same problem with the console for some months now, but just put up with it...but I too want the widescreen experience like MichielM!

I have a 20" monitor and a Japanese keyboard so I can't get the console up.

I edited the config file from the "call of duty" folder in "application support" and binded a key of my choice using Textedit. Also entered the 1680 by 1050 video settings, saved the file and opened CoD, but still no joy.

What am I doing wrong?! Have I missed anything obvious? I'm keen to play it the way it should be played : )

7. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

Which config file did you edit? There should be 2 different ones: one for Single Player and one for Multi Player. Make sure both are edited.

8. Mitch81 macrumors newbie

TDM21,

I went back to both .cfg files and checked them both out....

looks like I missed the line about the seta r_mode -1. I was focusing on the resolution too much.

A silly mistake, but without your help and persuasion to re-edit the .cfg files, I would have missed it. Thank you very much.

Now I can play it widescreen. Boy, what a beautiful game it's too!! : )

9. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

I think these commands may also work with Quake 3 Arena..
    I'll check that out... thanks.

10. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

These commands work in almost every Quake 3 based game.