Call of Duty III?

Discussion in 'Games' started by TastyCakes, Nov 17, 2006.

1. TastyCakes macrumors newbie

Anyone? I never played any of the others but I saw a commercial for it yesterday and it looked pretty good. I'm trying to find a good online game I can play with my best friend as that's our main means of communication and hanging out since we're worlds apart now.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

what version do you want it on ?

The 360 - PS3 - Xbox - PS2 - Wii ??

There is no Mac or PC version of this title (or even announced) :)

3. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Thanks for reminding me. This game was just released on the 360 here in .au land I need to get off my butt and go buy it today. :)

4. afornander macrumors 6502

thay have allways been good games, i have Call of duty 2 on my mac, you really get a good feal of the game, in other words, good gameplay, and replay value. good graphics, good Audio, all around good game. i know i will probly get COD3 for my Wii when i get it this Christmass.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Which is CRAP! Why is there no PC version, I'd like to know? Rhetorical question and all.

6. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

maybe CoD2 didnt sell well on PC? Or they have a different CoD game coming out for PC?

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Apparently it was 'infinity wards' descision. They wanted to concentrate on the next gen consoles.

Maybe in Spring or Summer 07 a PC version might arrive, and then if your really lucky by this time next year a mac version.. ;) :eek:

8. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

No PC announcement yet? Same goes for Gears of War, correct?

How can you play COD III without a keyboard and mouse???

That's the major problem I have with consoles: input devices.
    The console grfx are getting better and better... almost as good as high-end PC hardware now, but not being able to use a keyboard + mouse, or a high quality FF wheel still makes the console gaming experience inferior to PC gaming playing the games I like: FPS and Racing sims.

Crap.

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

No, CoD2 sold very well on the PC (being ported to Mac is a big indicator of that).. but if they were concentrating on the next gen of consoles, WTF make it for PS2? Seriously, they need to drop a PC version.

10. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Bought it (+ GoW + Dead Rising) for the 360 last weekend the day I bought my Premium 360.

All of the CoD games have been good. Well, I've played CoD2 on the PC which was also released on the 360. (CoD: Big Red One was sorta an in-between sequel, it wasn't part 2 like some people believe; both of my brothers-in-law played through CoD:BRO and said it was good.) CoD2 was great; I liked it much better than the first one because they got rid of healthpacks and did the "find cover for a few seconds to regain your health back" idea like a lot of other shooters do nowadays.

Anyhow, CoD3 seems as good as part 2 in gameplay, and graphically its better than part 2. One of the best things they added IMO is the ability to throw back grenades that are tossed at you; at the same time, enemies will do it to now so you've gotta hold that grenade for a few secs to wind down the timer before you throw one yourself.

I just got to Act 5 last night, and apparently there are 14 acts in total. I've played for about 3-4 hours total so far so it seems like a pretty decent lasting 1p game. As for online, I haven't played online yet but I hear it's pretty good, the usual fare of deathmatch, CTF etc. I do know in CoD3 there are vehicles in multiplayer, including tanks. :)

CoD has been regarded as the best "war simulator" series in the FPS genre, so (IMO) you can never go wrong with the CoD franchise. I'd recommend CoD3 to anyone especially fans of the series. A lot of people are sick of the war FPS idea but it doesn't bother me because it's still something relatively new and the CoD series always seems to add things here or there to keep it interesting.

Thumbs up from me on CoD3. ;)
    My only gripe is that it doesn't have co-op. :( But then again I can always play Gears for that, and Gears does it the best.

Used to bother me years ago; doesn't anymore. I got hooked on the [Xbox] TimeSplitters 2 demo like 4 years ago and kept playing it over and over and eventually I was playing with the controller almost as good as I can with a keyboard+mouse. Obviously your reaction time/delay in turning is there, but against similar pad players, it's not an issue. Nowadays I'd almost say I prefer the pad, honestly. (I know...sacriledge! :D)

11. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    why make it for PS2? because there's a large install base for the Ps2 that's already established, and they knew not everyone would get a PS3 immediately, so they widened the market to incorporate more sales.

12. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Infinity Ward didn't do CoD3... Treyarch did.

13. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I agree, I find it quite ironic FPS games are becoming the most popular in consoles when consoles are the worst systems (for control issues, nothing else) to play a FPS and besides, a FPS is also a visual joy (believe it or not) so 3 months in and consoles are already underpowered.

And consoles will never catch up to PC games, in fact, PC games run faster and look better (and go up to 2560x1600 as opposed to 1280x720) than their console counterparts and that gap will only widen as time goes on.

14. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Um… what are you on? :confused:

Consoles are not the worst for control issues. I've played both console and PC shooters for years, and the console (at least the Xbox) is just easier. Sure, the PC version is more accurate, but the console version is typically easier to learn and control.

And consoles will never catch up? Um… in case you haven't noticed, the power of consoles has been increasing at a far faster rate than that of PCs. Granted, there are fewer consoles and they only come out once every five years, but I doubt you're going to be running ANY game at 2560x1600 at even 30 FPS unless you want to spend several times the going amount for even a PS3.

15. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Like about 5-7 times the cost of a PS3. Who cares if you can run games at 2560x1600, theres only like 2 displays out there than can support this resolution, so add about another $1500-$2000 for a Dell or Apple 30" monitor.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It wasnt infinity ward who did the old console version. They just parted that out to Treyach I believe.

As they guys stated above, at least they wont have to spend another $500 on a graphics card upgrade next year to play COD4 ;)

Edit... Just looked at clayj's post.. Seems Treyach did them all :)

17. tridentuk macrumors newbie

COD 3 may not be for Mac or PC, but it is looking better for COD 4:)

Just spotted this link to Amped, on Nvnews.net A reliable source close to the Call of Duty development teams has revealed not only the existence of Call of Duty 4, but vital details surrounding the game as well, including the fact that it will be based on modern combat.

According to our source, Call of Duty 4 will be developed by Infinity Ward, the developer behind the first and second installments. The three-way deal established between Infinity Ward, Treyarch, and Activision states that Infinity Ward will develop all even numbered titles while Treyarch develops the odd numbered games, such as Call of Duty 3. Treyarch did develop Call of Duty 2: Big Red One as well, however.

As aforementioned, Call of Duty 4 is said to step away from the war torn locales of World War II, instead focusing on the battlefields of present day. It is unknown if it will take the same path as Electronic Arts’ Battlefield franchise, placing the spotlight on the Middle East.

The source compared Call of Duty 4’s technical achievements to other games saying that while most shooters have two or three critical points on the head, Call of Duty 4 has 16, saying that you can shoot the side of an opponent’s helmet to make it spin on their head, or knock the helmet clean off. Supposedly you will even be able to shoot an enemy’s ear off.

Although Call of Duty’s single player has always been a mainstay of the franchise, the multiplayer is certainly something to write home about. Our source has said that there have been multiplayer bouts with 54 players. PC gamers will be happy to know that they will be able to join the action once again, as Infinity Ward is supposed to be bringing Call of Duty 4 to the PC as well as consoles. Call of Duty 3 is only available on consoles and eventually the PSP.

Activision press representatives were unavailable to confirm or deny these reports; however, Amped IGO will continue attempts to gain verification.
    - Source of link Amped (http://igo.ampednews.com/news/4832)

We'll like to point out that 402, the official spokesperson from IW has told the community that they are not even close to taking suggestions from the community just yet as the game is still in the planning phases.

We'll be watching this news closely

18. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

aw :( I was looking forward to CoD3, loved the first 2 but I don't and have no plans to buy a console.

19. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

No no no, yeah, control is well maybe a matter of preference but using a keyboard IS more intuitive (point and shoot, some console FPS have complicated combinations of the analog sticks). But consoles will never catch up... you say the power of consoles have been increasing at a faster rate than PCs? Well if you say so because there are games that look like Gears of War on Xbox360, well PS2 had Unreal Tournament and it looked like on PCs and for some time it had some games that looked better...

Its nothing new, consoles have the graphics advantage for a few time, then PCs become faster, sure they may be more expensive but nothing takes away the fact that if you want the prettiest graphics, a gaming PC is the best choice, heck, Xbox360 uses mostly the same hardware as a PC and yet games look better on a PC than on Xbox360 (like Prey or Quake 4 or F.E.A.R.)

Consoles will never catch up to PCs, unless of course, you want to upgrade your console every six months.

And cost is hardly an issue, you can build a great gaming PC with a 24" 1920x1200 monitor for around 2500$, an Xbox360 costs 400$, add a HDTV to that (a good one) and you are around the 2500$ mark as well, not to mention PC games are cheaper, sure you might say a good HDTV is not needed but without one you can forget about getting similar graphics to that of a PC.

See its all relative, some people like FPS on their consoles, I don't, thats why I have a gaming PC and PS2, because PS2 has tons of games like racers, 3rd action games (like devil may cry or metal gear solid), adventure games like Okami, platformers like Jak and Ratchet, etc, etc, see? It is all matter of preference.

Now I'm getting a Wii and I will be covered, gimmicky and different games with Wii and visual showcases and shooters and strategy games on my PC.

20. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Well, you know, Prey or Quake 4 looking better is more because the devs didn't really take time to work on their games for the X360. Why else would other games released around the same time look much better?

Cost is hardly an issue? Let's see: A one-time cost for the console, which is dedicated to gaming and therefore the games for it will look prettier and possibly run much better over time, and generally there's already a TV (perhaps not HD, but perhaps it is), or having to buy an expensive video card, more RAM, or a better processor every few months just to keep up.

I'll take the console and pay far less, thanks.

And I got a good HDTV five years ago for $1000. So I'm still paying over a thousand dollars less than you are.

And it's perfectly fine that you like using a PC and a PS2. Just don't think you're paying less for a lot more. ;)

21. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Treyarch did CoD3, and will be doing CoD4. Infinity Ward did CoD2.

22. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

That was more of a rhetorical question aimed at 'if you make it for the PS2, why not a PC release?'.

23. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Almost. Treyarch did CoD2 Big Red One which was the PS2 version, which wasnt good. Infinity Ward have the contract for CoD4, thank the lord, and did CoD2 on everything else.