Call of Duty- Newbie questions

Discussion in 'Games' started by rdowns, Oct 16, 2004.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    I have never been into games much but my friend bugged me into buying one to use on my iMac G5 20". I poked around this forum and decided to buy Call of Duty. All I can say is wow!

Games have come a long way since I had a console (Sega something or other circa early 90's). I installed it Thursday night and spent 4 hours playing. My arms felt crippled after that. It felt like an hour. Graphics and speed are awesome. I just installed another 512 MB stick to bring me to 1GB RAM; wonder how that will effect the game.

A few questions. Any recommendations on where I can find a good place to learn how to really play this? The manual description of View controls makes no sense to me. WHat about all the settings options? Why does it need the DVD in the drive to play; can't I enter my serial number somewhere to avoid this hassle? Anything you'd recommend a new player? What game should I buy next?
  2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    As for the options, most of them are related to speed/quality tradeoffs. If you post some specific examples, I'll help you to understand how those will impact your speed. The most important setting is usually resolution, which you can set to widescreen on your iMac, if you haven't figured out how to already. Also, you can use the ATI Displays preference panel to further configure graphics options for the game :p

The DVD is required to stay in the drive to prevent people from pirating it off the internet.
  3. Cohiba macrumors member

Jun 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yeah I pretty much had the same reaction too! I bought call of duty when I picked up my new G5, and wow! The graphics are fantastic, and the gameplay is awesome!

For most games you have to have the cd or dvd in to play, this is an effort to limit game piracy. There are - shall I say rather unscrupulos ways to get around this, but I woulnt recomend them.

as far as where to learn to play? I would start at the website for the game, then find some fan links there, and your on your way - enjoy!
  4. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

Aug 15, 2003
    I downloaded the demo and was completely blown away. It took 1/2 hour to get across the road and to the fence and that was playing on the regular setting! Very realistic and the sounds were incredible. Usually I'm not that into the sounds of the weapons or ambient sounds but this game but the sounds of this game were so immersive. I felt like I was watching a high quality movie. This will be a game I will talk my daughter into buying me for Halloween. (Doesn't everyone exchange gifts on Halloween morning?)
  5. applemacdude macrumors 68040

Mar 26, 2001
    Over The Rainbow

But it still happens......
  6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    There are always ways around anti-piracy, at least until companies start implementing hardware anti-piracy, which is a bad bad thing.
  7. takao macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    hm i played the first 2 single player demos and the demo for the new add on ..entertaining and perhaps the best WW2 shooter with story out there
    i liked the add on demo the most..insanly fast paced ..from shooting from a jeep , taking out 3-4 tanks with bazooka,sniping picking up an MG etc...(don't know if it's available for the mac already)
    i'mdefiantly going for the game as soon it gets cheaper

i think that's US only ;)