Call of Duty on a Rev.A G5 Dual 2.0 stock...

Discussion in 'Games' started by Wilson, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Wilson macrumors regular

I was wondering if Call of Duty would run smoothly on my rev A G5 Dual 2.0 stock. I'm not a heavy gamer, I just plan on playing once in awhile and I have no plans on upgrading the video card. Will Call of Duty run okay with 512MB of ram? What should I set the resolution at when I'm playing the game? I'll be using a 19" CRT monitor (Viewsonic P95f+). I've never played games on a Mac before so I'm not sure how things will be. I really hope I can play this game without upgrading anything. I have already spent a lot of money on the computer itself.

Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I'm pretty sure that you'll have no problems. One of the limiting factors will be your video card. Which one do you have?

3. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

The stock Rev A dual 2GHz G5 shipped with a 64MB Radeon 9600 Pro. This system will handle Call of Duty without any problems, as is. It ran quite nicely on my humble 1.6GHz G5 with the same graphics card.

4. aussiemac86 macrumors 6502

I ran the CoD demo on my brothers single 867MHz G4 Quicksilver, with like 700 oddmB of ram. It was fairly playable, not top notch graphics but not laggy or anything very smooth. You will have no worries on a dual 2.0 G5

5. applekid macrumors 68020

That's funny. Someone with a Dual 2 GHz G5 is asking if a game will be playable. ;)

You'll be fine. I think you'll be able to bring up your settings to "extra" and choose a high resolution. Good times.

6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I've run CoD on a Dual 1.8ghz with 5200FX with almost full graphics and it ran beautifully. For resolution, try 800x600 or 1024x768.

7. FriarCrazy macrumors regular

I run Call of Duty on my 12" PB (specs in sig) with its 5200 go graphics card, and it looks great! I have the graphics pretty close to maxed out, and the only time that I get lag is in HUGE outdoor maps with lots of foliage. If I can run it, then you certianly can NO SWEAT. COD was originally programmed for openGL when it came out on PC, so it ported to Mac very nicely.

8. Wilson thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah...it's pretty funny. I spent over $3000 CDN on the computer and I'm still asking if I can play games...LOL. :eek: It's just that I keep hearing people say that you need a good video card to play games. I don't want to play games on my mac if it's choppy or it lags.

When you play Call of Duty online, you can play with people who have the PC version right? Once again, I'm not a gamer, so this question might be a little stupid.

9. FriarCrazy macrumors regular

Yes, you can play people who have the PC version. You need to download the 1.4 beta patch. Don't worry about the "beta," its runs stably. My friends and I just had a LAN party with macs and PCs and Call of Duty ran flawlessly between them.

P.S. Your 9600 will be fine, don't worry about it. If you want to play something like Doom 3 (if it ever comes out) you'll need to upgrade, but for casual gaming it will provide steady decent frame rates.

10. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

It's a fair question to ask. Apple doesn't exactly use great video cards in most of its 'professional' lineup by default. No matter how fast your CPU and system is, an nVidia GeForce 5200 FX is an entry level budget card, and if your system has one, you'll always be held back by it. But you have nothing to worry about...if your Rev A dual 2GHz G5 is truly 'stock' configured, then you have the quite respectable mid-range 64MB ATI Radeon 9600 Pro. Even on my 1.6GHz G5 / Radeon 9600 system, I can play CoD at 1024x768 with 'High' texture and character detail settings, 32 bit colour and trilinear filtering enabled and get good gaming performance. You will have no problems with your dual 2GHz G5.

If it's of interest to anyone, I can collect some actual FPS benchmark scores for this configuration on CoD.

11. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

How do you run a benchmark for COD?
    Edit: and MOHAA?

12. trailblazer macrumors member

i play cod quite often on pc. i play it on my mac at uni hehe.
    totally stock 12" pb (sig), runs great... ~60fps @1024x768 med, would be more stable with more ram
    and i'm used to 125fps on my pc...

13. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

It'll do great. I run it on my 1st Gen Dual 2 with a Radeon 9800. I run the game at 1600x1200 with EVERYTHING on the highest level. It runs incredibly well. Indoors I see as high as 180-195 FPS. Outdoors the lowest I've seen in the 40 FPS range. This game is well done and built on the Quake engine which is Dual Processor Savvy. It runs amazing!

On a CRT you should be able to run all high settings at 1024x768 with no problems.

I think you'll spend more time than you anticipate on this title. It's very good!

14. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

Where can I download the Beta Patch?

15. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Just for kicks I tried the Demo on my G4 (see sig). It actually ran better than I expected, but it was still unplayably CH-CH-CH-CHOPPY. It would probably gag itself completely on the first Russian mission. :D

Your dual 2.0 will have NO problems. enjoy!

16. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I play COD at 1680x1050 (20" AL ACD) with all settings on full on my Rev B Dual 1.8, 256 MB Radeon 9800 XT it runs great. Just make sure you get the latest update as it includes support for stuff like FSAA.

17. risc macrumors 68030

risc

18. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

And so I just replace the CoD launcher buttons with the new 1's and add the other file into my "Main" folder?

19. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

well? Its a simple question... I just want to make sure..

20. hjhhjh macrumors member

the demo runs very smooth on my powerbook 12" 1.33 ghz 768 mb ram

in avg graphics, and even on high graphics, except in out door maos with huge stuff going on, i love this game

21. rccola70 macrumors regular

Its runs well on my iBook. I have the resolution at 1024 x 768 with graphic details set to medium. Its great..I would think that any Powermac can handle any games for macs.

Check the specs next time... ;)

22. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Amazingly enough, and a testament to Apple, I have successfully run COD on a G4 450 SP with a 2 year old Radeon card. Although it did not perform at its best, i was still able to play. This was only done because i needed a COD fix while my DP 1.8 was in the shop.
    Needless to say there should not be a prob running on a DP 2.0 rev a. I'm stock Rev B with a ***ty GeForce 5200. (Still wishing I would have spent the extra $50 for the ATI upgrade, damn my cheapness to hell!!!!!)

23. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

1.4 is no longer beta. It is the final version. been running it since late summer. Anixously awating COD united offensive expansion...............