Call of Duty on Intel iMac

Discussion in 'Games' started by livingfortoday, Feb 20, 2006.

1. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Hey, I can't seem to find a specific thread on this, and the Universal Binary wiki doesn't have anything on it, so I thought I'd throw in my two cents about playing Call of Duty on my new 20" Intel iMac with the 256MB VRAM upgrade.

Well, for one... no lag, at all. I've played it on my dads 1.6Ghz G5 with the (I believe) 9600 w/64MB, and that showed more lag than this. I had all the settings turned up all the way, and it didn't slow down during firefights. I can't give you a number for FPS (unless someone can point out how to do this to me), but it must have been pretty high.

Just thought you guys should know that even under Rosetta, COD rocks pretty hard.

2. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

3. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

Yeah, thanks for the info. I own precisely 1 Mac game, and Call of Duty would be that game. An Intel system is on the horizon so its good to know that it'll run well even if Aspyr doesn't release a Universal Binary for it. Given this news I don't expect that they would do so anyway since there seems to be little point in going to the trouble if the performance was already great.

4. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I'm also wanting to try out Cod on my Intel iMac but I'd like to see how many FPS I'm getting. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

5. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

Other games?

Anyone know how other old games work under Rosetta? I'd be particularly keen to know how BF1942 behaves? And Rainbow Six 3? Aspyr emailed me to say they work "all right". Anyone got some real world MacIntel experience with these games?

6. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

If I'm not mistaken CoD is based on the Q3A engine; if that is the case then you should be able to get FPS by:

Opening the console, should be tilde key (~)
    Type: /cg_drawfps 1
    Press <Return>

7. bense27 macrumors regular

What Call of Duty is out for the mac? Is it it COD2? The same one that is out for the 360?

8. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Has to be Call of Duty. Call of Duty 2 isn't out for OS X.

9. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Call of Duty 2 is supposed to be coming for the Mac this summer though. I wonder if the graphics will be as good on the Mac as they are on my 360.

10. lordmac macrumors regular

Hmm this is true, I wonder if it would be possible to turn call of duty universal by using the same patch thing you can download to make quake 3 universal. I'd try this my self but I sadly am not in possession of an intel mac.

11. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Depends on your card. Looks better on my PC running a EVGA 7800GT OC

12. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Cool, so if my computer can hack it, it should be comparable at the very least. That is what I wanted to know. Thanks.:)

13. aspro macrumors 6502

I highly doubt it is true, as call of duty is a completely different game, the codebase would have to be the same for a switch of executables to work properly

14. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

you need to enter this into the console. press the ~ (tilde) key and type:

/cg_drawFPS 1

then hit enter.

an fps meter will show up in the top right of the screen. the number on the left is the average fps. the other 2 fluctuate and represent the lowest and highest rates.

to turn it off type: /cg_drawFPS 0

give us some figures with sync every frame on and off. you can set that in performance settings. when sync is off, the frame rate will generally be higher but it also goes down lower than having it sync'd as well.

another useful statistic you can display is the lagometer. go into console again ie. press the ~ key. it shows a bar showing how your ping fluctuates. it also shows lag spikes as well.

to turn on: /cg_lagometer 1

to turn off: /cg_lagometer 0

i use them in game all the time. they are very useful.

:)

aussie_geek

15. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Yesssssssssssssssssss! I am so glad COD is running smoothly. Anyone know how Rainbow Six 3 and Splinter Cell are?

Yet.
    Its due in May, which means it'll be out just in time for my MBP (judging by people's shipping reports:D )
    In reality its due on the 20th. I cant wait. MBP+COD+Infocus X1 DLP projector= fun fun fun.

16. bense27 macrumors regular

yeah I have it on the 360 so I probably won't get it on the mac

17. Stecchino macrumors member

18. Shadowspirit6 macrumors regular

EDIT: nvm i got it now

19. Shadowspirit6 macrumors regular

hey, since no one really pointed out how much fps you get, well ive been getting about 35 -60fps...(it mostly stays around 30-40)though i use com_maxfps 120 if you guys are wondering(but i still dont get over 70).

20. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

The COD 2 demo works great on my 1.83Ghz MacBook Pro with the 128MB ATI Radeon Mobile X1600 (I think that's what it is). A little laggy, but pretty sweet nonetheless. :)