Call of Duty Online/Muliplayer problems (on my powerbook)

Discussion in 'Games' started by stevebabcock, Jun 3, 2004.

1. stevebabcock macrumors newbie

Okay, so I bought COD last night, brought it home and installed it on my new Powerbook. I played online/multiplayer all night long. It was a blast. Yeah, I got my arse wasted, but it was still fun...

Anyway...

Today is a whole different story. When I click on the Multiplayer icon to start it up, it crashes EVERY time. I then brought the game to work and loaded it on my G5 and got into an online game in no time. Does anybody know why I can't access the multiplayer all of a sudden on my Powerbook?

Please help, I'm totally dying here.

AIM: TheMazeAlliance

2. stevebabcock thread starter macrumors newbie

PS> I contacted Aspyr's tech support and the dude totally blew me off. He told me it was because most of the online games are now using a PC upgrade or whatever and that they haven't released it for MAC yet. I asked him why it works on my G5 then? He didn't have much of an answer. He told me that it "should" be crashing like it is on my powerbook until they get the Mac patch. What the? So why did I pay $50 last night for the game???? I want to cuss like nobody's business! :)

3. TeeJay macrumors newbie

I must admit that I haven't tried it yet but I was under the impression that it wouldn't work yet because us mac folk need to be upgraded to 1.4 before we can play online with our PC counterparts. Perhaps just wait for that patch before you start ***** and blinding like nobody's business ;)

4. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

[off topic] What kind of powerbook do you have? I'm planning on buying COD, but wanted to make sure a powerbook could handle it ok. [/off topic]

I have no idea why it works on your G5 and not your Powerbook... weird...

5. PowermacG5 macrumors regular

PowermacG5

I called aspyr when i had that issue they were totaly helpful. Where is your call to duty folder? If its not directly in your macintosh HD folder you will have problems. Reinstall and repair disk permision by launching disk utility.

6. mowogg macrumors 6502

mowogg

It works for me

This is good advice. I have CoD on my G5 and it is installed in my "games" folder at the root level.
    I have no problem starting the multiplayer online application, I just can only see 1.3 version servers.
    The issue that the (kinda lame) Aspyr tech was refering to is the 1.4 patch that prevents you from seeing any servers which have the upgrade. It won't affect your ability to launch the application. You just will be limited to seeing only 1.3 servers. There are about 30 of them that I can see, most of those are empty, but there's one called West Coast Screaming Eagles (I think that's the name) that always has a good sized crowd on it. I expect that once the 1.4 patch is released for the Mac we'll see the number of servers jump. There are a whole lot more MoHAA servers available right now. An important thing to check is that you have the CoD Multiplayer app in the same folder as the data files. A clean install would be best.
    Good Luck!

7. GoatCheese macrumors newbie

tried everything, and mine won't work either

I have tried everything to get multiplayer working again, and it still crashes on launch. I have repaired permissions a million times, deleted, and reinstalled just as many times, tried different user name (halfway worked, then boom, crash when I tried to refresh list). Am I missing anything? It was working great for a long time, now it won't even launch to ask for my CD key after I reinstall it! Please help!

8. GoatCheese macrumors newbie

Alright, slight update. Now I installed the 1.4b2 update, which I just found out about, and I can actually launch the game! Only, I can't refresh the list of servers! It just sits there forever, grrrr!!! Any ideas?

9. knicksfan58 macrumors member

ya it doesn't seem to be refreshing i think the server is down today