Call of Duty or BF1942: Which Will Run Better?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Capt Underpants, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I guess the title says it all. I have a 12" PB G4 1.33, 768 Mb RAM, with the fx5200 Go GFx card. Which game will run better? Also, if they will be equivalent in performance, which would you recommend?

2. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

I'd say Call of Duty. I know that game can run well on a G4. However, from the reviews i've read for BF1942, it seems to be very cpu limited. I own both these games, but i play them on a 1.8 G5 with ATI (see sig), so i'm running quite a different system. But anyway, from the reviews i've read at IMG, i think Call of Duty would run much better. It's a clean port (i.e., not sloppy).

3. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I was leaning towards Call of Duty, myself. I take it, then, that Call of Duty is a better port than Battlefield. I know I don't have much of a gaming machine, but I do miss PC gaming, since I switched, and got my xbox (although it fulfills many of my needs). The keyboard and mouse is just superior, and I can't help but want to play sometimes.

4. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

I have both and Call of Duty has better performance and better graphics.

As to which to buy, it depends what you want it for, since BF1942 is mainly a multiplayer game and COD is mainly single player. (though both have both)

5. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I would be buying the games mainly to play online multi-player. So, I guess i should be leaning towards BF, since it has better multiplayer. Is the better performance of call of duty more important than the multiplayer of battlefield? I guess that's the question I need to answer.

6. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

BF1942 is a horrible port IMO, COD is much better you would be getting better frame rates on COD, i like cod multiplayer anyways

7. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

I don't have BF1942 but I'm pretty sure CoD will run better. It's a perfect port. Plus, I have heard CoD is much better then BF1942. One of the reason's I'm not geting it. All CoD needs is vehicles. So I would get CoD.

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

today i ran bf on the demo g5 and it ran like ass. my 2 y/o pc whopped it's ass. but, it was a stock g5, so it still had the 256 ram, but i don't even think a 512 chip could save that game for the mac.

iJon

9. el greenerino macrumors regular

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I beta'd both and I have both. CoD was an excellent port. BF1942 was actually an excellent port from the get go. But BF1942 has a lot more moving things in the game to take care of (large maps etc). If MP is your thing, I think BF is more dynamic. CoD MP is tight, but a little limited. If SP is your thing, CoD is your game, lotsa great levels. Don't get me wrong, Bf has some great SP levels, but in order to make it harder, you have to turn up some stuff which makes the game run slower, and makes you have to do all the work. Mad annoying. The AI in BF is 'developmentally challenged'. But there's nothing the porters could do about that from the PC game.

11. friarbayliff macrumors regular

I'd also say Call of Duty. It runs very well on my 12" pb.

12. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I ran BF on my 1Ghz G4 w/64 VRAM and it was awful. I run it now on my 1.6Ghz G5 (single proc) w/64 VRAM and it's very nice. I cast my vote for COD, which runs great on both systems :)