Call of Duty Question

Discussion in 'Games' started by jdogg707, Aug 6, 2004.

1. jdogg707 macrumors regular

I have the PC version of Call of Duty and was wondering if there is anyway to allow it to play on my Mac? I know it uses the Quake 3 engine, which there is a way to get the PC version of Quake 3 running on the Mac, so I was hoping there would be a way to do the same for COD. Thanks!

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Just make a copy of the Call of Duty folder from your PC and transfer it to the Mac. Then, delete the Call of Duty application once its on the Mac. Next, download the latest CoD patch (which simply gives you the Mac application). Place it into the CoD folder and it should work.

If you can't transfer the folder from one computer to the other, try to find a folder on the CD that says "base" or "main." This folder should contain some large files ending with .pk3. Make a new folder called "Call of Duty" and then drag the folder off of the CD into your new CoD folder. Then download the latest Mac patch as said above.

3. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Are you sure about that...?

Because Q3 based games have very different files structures than Mac versions. They may use the PAK3 format but the files are not always in the same place, and sometimes there are config files present on the PC versions that are not there for the Mac version.

4. jdogg707 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help, I did everything but am now having the issue that it asks for the game CD. I have the CD in the drive but it still asks for it, so I suppose it is looking for the Mac version. Is there a No-CD Fix for the Mac like there is for the PC?

5. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

I too have tried to get the PC version of CoD to run on a Mac with no avail. It says the same thing in single player and when you try multiplayer it says invalid pk3 or something to that effect.

I have also tried to get Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force using the same operation, but have been unsuccessful. It asks for the cd even though the PC version of the cd is in the drive. I guess there are more differences between the Mac and PC cds then just the programs

6. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

that technique only worked on Q3, because later on ID made a hybrid Q3 cd that worked on PC and Mac and it was done inhouse, so its totally different from CoD

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It works on Wolfenstein too. I tried it on Star Wars Jedi Knight 2 last year and it didn't work though, I asked Aspyr about it and they replied with an accusation of piracy.