Call of Duty- United Expansion

Discussion in 'Games' started by rdowns, Dec 8, 2004.

1. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Amazon says my copy will ship Friday. Is this accurate? I thought I read it wouldn't ship for a few more weeks. I can't wait. Never been a gamer but Call of Duty was just awesome.

2. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Slightly off-topic, but if you liked Call of Duty, you'll probably also enjoy the Medal of Honor series a lot too. Medal of Honor is a little older and not quite as graphically polished as Call of Duty, but apart from that they're practically the same game.

3. rdowns thread starter Suspended

rdowns

Thanks. I heard Santa is bringing me the Deluxe Edition for Xmas.

Even more off topic, I just re-watched Band of Brothers (if you haven't seen it, why?) and its realism was awesome, so is Call of Duty's.

4. mowogg macrumors 6502

mowogg

CoD UO

The expansion pack should have been in stores last Monday. Interact CD store in Pasadena CA said they were shipping to them on Saturday and they would be on-shelf on Monday.

5. risc macrumors 68030

risc

My copy shipped yesterday from my local reseller, so the game is definitely shipping. Now the wait for the courier to deliver it to work begins, then the wait for the day to end, then the wait for it to install ...

6. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I agree with that, Medal of Honor was the first first-person shooter game I ever played and I was really surprised how much I enjoyed it. MoH:Frontline for the PS2 is also very well-done. Rising Sun and Breakthrough are ok if you get desperate, but a cut below the others. Return to Castle Wolfenstein is a bit less realistic since you are dealing with zombies and some other strange things, but the WWII environments, Nazis, weapons, etc. are interesting and I had a good time playing that game.

7. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

your comment reminds me of a review from TechTV's XPlay.

"If "Medal of Honor: Allied Assault" is the Saving Private Ryan of videogames, then "Call of Duty" is Band of Brothers."

you can read the rest of the review here

8. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

And don't forget 'Enemy at the Gates'. The whole Russian campaign in Call of Duty is heavily influenced by this movie. The opening scene when you're crossing the Volga River in a ferry and then climbing the river bank is exactly the same as it is in Enemy at the Gates.

But yeah...the scene at Brecourt Manor in CoD is taken straight from Band of Brothers...so is the opening parachute jump in Medal of Honor: Spearhead. Both games contain Battle of the Bulge levels which are pretty close matches for the ones in Band of Brothers too. Those games are like playable World War II history lessons :)

9. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I've just installed CoD:UO and all I can say is WOW! It looks great, and plays great on my Dual 1.8 at 1680x1050 with everything on full! Even better than CoD!

10. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

CoD mods have been conveted for mac, such as DSF, Heat of Battle, and Revolt.

11. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Just curious.... which grfx card are you using?

12. risc macrumors 68030

risc

256 MB ATI Radeon 9800 XT

13. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Aha..... Not a real surprize it runs so well ;)

I wonder how the 5200 copes with it.