call of duty

Discussion in 'Games' started by G wizz, Dec 5, 2005.

1. G wizz macrumors member

Couple of questions.

New to gaming on line and been playing Call of duty, why is it some of the servers kick you out no soon as you have got on line, in experience ????. Also why is it you get idiots that kill your own men on purpose?????. Whats all that about.

Wicked game, how some of those guys get those scores,.awesome.

Will they be doing COD 11 for mac.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I don't play many games online (mainly just Warcraft), but I know that there's an anti-cheating tool called PunkBuster. Maybe the servers are kicking you off because you don't have it installed.

3. G wizz thread starter macrumors member

So i have to download that then do I.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

That's my guess. There might be a copy on the CoD DVD, but don't hold your breath. Other than that, I don't know where to get it from, maybe try MacGameFiles first.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Are you fully patched and up to date on your CoD install? As noted, it's problably PunkBuster.

And for an answer to the second question, because jackasses play online games too.

6. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

PunkBuster in included with the latest patch of the game (1.5). When you start up Call of Duty MP go to Multiplayer Options. There you should find an option for PunkBuster.

There could be many reasons. Some servers don't like it if you are using the default name (UnkownSoldier I think). Others won't let you connect if your ping is too high. Trying to reconnect can fix that usually. I know sometimes the initial ping you send to the server can be over 300 and that will not let you connect.

Make sure you have the connection settings set your your type of internet connection. Also make sure you are running the latest match, which can be found at macgamefiles.com or http://www.filefront.com

because that are @$$ #*!^$. That or the mistook you for team killing someone.

7. mowogg macrumors 6502

mowogg

You may be in a deathmatch arena. CHeck the game type - DM = Deathmatch and everybody kills anybody. TDM = Team Deathmatch and you should only kill enemies, not your own side. Most servers have friendly fire turned off so you can't kill your own team members in TDM. Try the MGX servers, they have good map rotations and competent players.

8. efoto macrumors 68030

As stated, most likely PunkBuster. Install the latest patch and enable PB and you should be fine.
    I hate those guys....but they are fun to kill once you catch them too :D
    COD Eleven (11) is coming out!?ASDF! WTFOMGBBQ!!!
    II or 2 come to mind, but it's all good, just poking a bit of fun ;)

9. G wizz thread starter macrumors member

Ive got COD 1 complete with the expansion pack, I dont sign in as unknown either.

Sorry for being stupid but what is the ping thing, I run a wireless router but have set settings to 56K, is this correct. Noticed using netgear wireless it is slower than cable. When using the expansion pack dvd noticed it goes of line quite often. How do I set the ping rate, and again what is this. Doh:eek:

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I don't own COD, so these instructions are just a guide:

Right-click your Call of Duty.app and Get Info.
    Check the Version field.
    According to Aspyr's site, the latest version is 1.5c.
    If yours is older, then you'll need to get the 1.5c update.

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Ping = (in layman's terms) the time it takes for a packet of information to get from point A to point B. The higher the ping time, the slower the information is getting to and from the other point, the lower the ping time, the faster your gameplay will be.

12. efoto macrumors 68030

I know, like I said I was just messing around, no harm meant.

You need to set your ping speed, or speed, to that which most closely resembles your inline connection (cable or relative speed dsl) to get the best performance from the game.

13. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

What kind of internet connection is your wireless router connected to? If you have anykind of broadband connection (cable, dsl, etc.) then set the connection settings to LAN/Cable/DSL. I say that is your problem right there. 56K is for dial-up.

14. G wizz thread starter macrumors member

thanks for that, I am broadband so thats helped me a lot, and the ping thing to. I wish I could read the bloody manuals.

15. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

Actually, if you are that desperate to kill a team member with friendly fire off, it is still possible - In united offensive that is.

Get in a vehicle and drive it towards a teammate. Line them up and just before you hit them, exit the vehicle. The vehicle will still be rolling and will run over them. You will not get any points for it but it will deduct one point from their score.

This is extremely useful if there is an idiot on your team. Usually they will have a cry about it and then leave after you have done it 10 times. :D

have fun!!

aussie_geek

16. onemacmini macrumors 6502

what to do.

when you've loaded up cod there i a option menu and multiplayer options.
    if you click on multiplayer options it will come up with a list.

click on punkbuster which will say "off" next to it and once clicked on it it should say "yes"

also if you want to play on all kinds of maps and find that you haven't got it on the multiplayer options click auto downloading. this enables you to download any map. however this can take long sometimes.

good luck gaming

onemacmini

also on the friendly fire stuff.
    when on the multiplayer main page click on join game.
    this will show all the different types of servers which you probly before couldn't accsess.
    click at the top ...... filter.
    then click friendly fire until there is a "off" besides it.
    this filters all the servers to the ones where you can't shoot your team mates.
    any more help you can post here again

17. efoto macrumors 68030

Haha, RTFM! (read the f***ing manual!) :p

I never read manuals either, and normally that doesn't stunt my progress in a given app/game, but sometimes it does. You'll find the more online games you play, the more similar they are in setup and the steps needed to optimize the online experience. I'm glad changing that setting helped you out, enjoy COD and maybe I'll kill you (online) sometime ;)