Calling a method when arithmetic operators are used on objects...

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by MorphingDragon, Sep 13, 2010.

1. macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Calling a method when arithmetic operators are used on objects, Is this possible in Objective-C bar some sort of C macro.

EG:

Code:
    myFraction = aFraction * anotherFraction; 

//Is the same as

myFraction = [aFraction multiplyBy: anotherFraction];
    It seems such a waste of time and readability to call such methods on such objects when they only represent numbers.

2. macrumors regular

If you've created the fraction class than it's as simple as adding a new method. If not than you will need to either subclass the fraction class or use categories.

I would recommend reading on both subclassing and categories.

3. macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

No I mean so you can just use * / + - on objects instead of multiplyBy: divideBy: methods etc.

4. macrumors 68040

lee1210

This is called operator overloading, and Objective-C does not support this feature. I appreciate this because you know exactly what's going on at a glance. There are good arguments for overloading, but for now Objective-C doesn't have it, so message passing is where it's at. With code completion it's not much more typing, and I think it's still quite readable.

-Lee

5. macrumors 6502a

Though I wish they would make an exception for strings(which would be sacrelig, I know!), doing even basic string manipulation can get ugly quick and looks bad to boot.

6. macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I would only really use it so the code is more like natural arithmetic.

I had a look at some of the C# and C++ implementation and gotchas... they look painful.

7. macrumors regular

Oops my fault, I didn't read the entire post. I'm going to blame it on reading the post at 8:00am on my IPad.

8. macrumors 68040

lee1210

I know you're going through a book right now, but in a "real world" scenario where you had wrappers that you wanted to do arithmetic with it would be best to have some manner to link operations so you don't have a lot of objects being created as intermediate values of the calculation just to be thrown away. Just something to keep in mind for performance' sake.

-Lee

9. macrumors 6502

I simply can't bring myself to stay out of a thread about operator overloading. I'll just sit back and smile though, and not ruin anybody's mood.

:)