Calling all 15" AL PB owners - How's Your Screen?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Paolo30, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Paolo30 macrumors member

Dec 3, 2003
    Hi, as an Al 15 owner with repeat screen issues I just wanted to see how everybody's machines are going - particularly your backlighting - i.e. is it evenly lit on an all white screen? Did you have white spots? Do you have them now? Is your machine perfect?
    Just a yea or nay, a short report...
    If you can include the date of purchase it would be great.
    Thanks in advance.:D
  2. bankshot macrumors 65816

Jan 23, 2003
    Southern California
    We purchased two 15" alBooks (1.25G, SuperDrive) from a reseller in early October. The screen on mine is darn near perfect to my eyes, but it has a problem with one of the ram slots. The other machine got the dreaded white spots (developed about a month after purchase) and also has the hinge problem.

Now that my coworker who had the other machine has moved to another project, I'm getting ready to send in mine for repair on the ram slot and I'll use the one with the bad screen for a week or so. Then that one goes back for repair and hopefully we'll finally have two perfect PowerBooks. ;)
  3. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    I bought mine within a few days of the launch (late September), and received it October 6. It did develop the white spot problem; I got it serviced (took only four days total, including shipping) and it's been perfect since then. I think they've figured out the problem.
  4. pyknosis macrumors newbie

Jul 24, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    I ordered my 15" 1.25GHz PB on 10/22/03; received it 11/17/03 due to delays in shipping presumably cause by Apple holding shipments at that time to resolve the screen issues. My screen is perfect. Zero dead pixels. No spots.
  5. johnnowak macrumors 6502

Jul 24, 2003
    New York, New York
    Ditto. Just got mine last week, all pixels go. Slight variation on an all black screen, but I think that's normal for LCDs.
  6. MattG macrumors 68040

May 27, 2003
    Fletcher, NC
    After two repairs (white spots), my 15" is fine. One thing I noticed is that when I first startup the computer, the screen is brighter in a couple of the corners than the rest of the screen, but that goes away after it 'warms up'.
  7. MacNut macrumors Core

Jan 4, 2002
    works great

Ordered my 15AL PB Dec 23 recieved Dec 30, Only one dead pixel screen looks good no white spots no dark spots.
  8. oasamostexianu macrumors newbie

Mar 2, 2002
    Mine does the same thing, though it's never been repaired.
  9. russgra macrumors newbie

Oct 9, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Received 4th October.

No dead pixels.

Uneven brightness, brighter in bottom right.

White spots gradually appearing for last month.
  10. KBFinFan macrumors 6502

May 30, 2003
    Connecticut, USA
    Received it Sept 23rd I think...

There is a small light spot near the center of the screen.. not as severe as the white spots I have seen on others.. but since I have no dead pixels and it is only visible on an all white background I have chosen to live with it for now.

I'd rather have it than some stuck pixels.. we'll see.. brightness fine.

EDIT: Spell check.. i before e 'cept after c.
  11. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Oct 16, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Recieved on December 18th, one dead pixel pretty close to the middle.. no backlighting issues.
  12. Felix_the_Mac macrumors member

Aug 18, 2003
    15" Al Superdrive purchased 3 Oct from reseller.

No dead pixels.
    Lid gap quite wide.
    Battery Life (10.3.2 + battery upd 1.1) 2 hrs 30
    Uneven backlighting .. I think so but its faint.

4 White spots developing!
    Will wait for a while before returning to Apple.
  13. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Jun 23, 2003
    St Augustine, FL
    I have one white spot after a security agent at the airport was careless with my PowerBook when checking it and put a series of scratches, two gashes, and dropped my PowerBook on the metal table lid side down from two inches. I was beyond pissed but when I went to the desk to post a complaint I got stopped by two security agents and they pretty much said too bad and dismissed me. Fortunately, it took a few weeks after that ordeal to even notice a spot since it only appears when you look at it from a certain angle on a white or really light blue background on a moderate brightness level. I don't think it is worth losing my PowerBook for a week or two to have to fixed and then risk a dead pixel on the new screen. I was actually able to gently rub some of the scratches out, or at least, make them nearly invisible after running a soft cotton cloth over them for a while. My latch has never been a problem for me, though, nor does that gap seem that wide. It just sits about 1/10" wide all around. The only problems I've suffered were from that idiotic TSA security agent.
  14. pyknosis macrumors newbie

Jul 24, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Wow, Powerbook G5. I'm surprised you were able to remain calm after that TSA guy thrashed your book. If it had happened to me, the ensuing incident would probably have been reported on CNN. :D
  15. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    The screen on my PB 15" is perfect. No dead or stuck pixels. No white spots and totally consistent backlighting. Purchased in early December.
  16. isd_glory macrumors member

Oct 17, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I recieved two 15" aluminum powerbooks around Nov 20th. So far, my primary laptop has zero issues with the display/latch/etc... My other laptop, mostly used for development and such, also has no problems. I've been in possession of these two aliminum beauties for a little over a 45 days, and I am very happy so far.
  17. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Sep 13, 2002
    Bristol, UK
    My first powerbook AL 15" had three white spots and the latch did not always catch and was purchased in October. I decided to return rather than get it repaired, but had to wait until the 12th of December for a replacment. The new Powerbook has been fine no problems at all.
  18. Stojamow macrumors regular

Jun 11, 2003
    Laptop: About 1 month old.

Couldn't be better :D
  19. gb506 macrumors newbie

Jan 3, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Re: works great

Was yours a BTO? I ordered a BTO PBG4 15.2/1.25GHZ/512/60GB/DVD-CDRW/BKLT-KB/AirPort via telephone from the Apple Store on Tuesday, 30 December. While my checking account has been debited the amount of the purchase, as of 5PM eastern on Saturday, 3 January, the order has not shown up on the Apple Store order tracking mechanism. A call to Apple on 2 January confirmed the order exists, however.

The guy from Apple said the unit is scheduled to be shipped on Jan. 9th, which is 11 days (inclusive) from the day I ordered. It'll probably be the 14th by the time I get it, which'd be 16 days.

A far cry from the 7 or 8 days you experienced.

I wonder if the reason it's taking so long is due to a feature change on the model planned for release at MWSF? I don't think they'd delay it for a downloadable software offering, so I wonder if they're gonna change the hardware somehow?

What do you all think?

1st post, BTW...
  20. killmoms macrumors 68040

Jun 23, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Purchased my PowerBook 15" from the Apple Store for Education by phone three days after it came out. It developed the white spots a couple weeks after I received it. I just called Apple yesterday and will be sending it in to get it repaired soon. My friend did a similar thing and his screen has been perfect since.

21. Paolo30 thread starter macrumors member

Dec 3, 2003
    Thanks everbody for your posts. It sure is good to hear so many positive results with apple fixes, not to mention those lucky munkeys who got perfection out of the box!
    Keep it brings much warmth to the heart of this young soldier... my baby's back in the shop later this week.

Powerbook G5 - Jesus H. man, I would've ended up in guantanamo bay (and on cnn) if that was my 'book they were throwing around.
  22. gundam macrumors member

Oct 6, 2003
    Mine is two months old. First I had 4 white spots and had the screen replaced under warranty. Subsequently, the latch wouldn't close and the new screen had a tiny dim spot. Then I had the screen unit replaced again, and it has been perfect - until today when I noticed a dead pixel near the right edge. I am a switcher and this is my first Apple. Love OS X but am sick of these screen issues and generally find the Powerbook a bit dainty as compared with my last Thinkpad.
  23. matthew24 macrumors 6502

May 30, 2002
    Perfect Machine

Ordered mine (BTO) at a local dealer at 6th of October. Picked it up at 21 of December! It is a perfect machine, I am pretty sure they solved the white spot issue, all is save.
  24. dadabase macrumors newbie

Jan 6, 2004
    brisbane australia
    ti15" - screen displays perfectly for about 2 or 3 minutes and then does this fade to purple all over and is unusable - purchased from a reseller about a year ago - the first couple of times it happened i put it down to overheating, but now it does it straight after start up
  25. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

Aug 23, 2001
    I purchased my 1.25 GHz PowerBook about 3-4 weeks after they were introduced. I have had absolutely no flaws with my PowerBook except just today, the sleep light on the latch button for the PowerBook lid just turned on and pulsated while I was using the computer. It hasn't happened again, yet...