Calling all 15" Users: Unite!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Ryan1524, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Apr 9, 2003
    Canada GTA
    hi guys. i need moral support from fellow 15" users. i chose the new 15" PB for school, and i love it. the screen is gorgeous, and backlit keyboard is very useful. but as i help my friends buy notebooks for school, most picked the 12". partly because of price, but they also liked how small it is. and this brought back my indecisions from when i was deciding for my powerbook.

i keep thinking how i should've went for the 12" since it's smaller, more compact, easier to handle, etc. i'm not gonna sell it, but i'd like to hear from fellow users to help me be even happier with my decision. i know this sounds stupid, but i'd love to hear some praise and Pro's for the 15" against the 12" to help me fortify my choice.

and all in all..i just wanna hear happy 15" users voicing out. :cool:
  2. herrmill macrumors member

Mar 20, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL, Shanghai, China & NW 11/12
    You made a good choice with the 15". I moved from a 12" iBook to 15" PB & couldn't be happier with what I have. Weight & size are not an issue & my PB elicits nothing but envy from those Dell users when I open it to do work while traveling.
  3. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2004
    United States
    You made the right choice with your 15". That's not to say that I don't absolutely love my 12" PB, but there are a few features that the 15" has that the 12" doesn't: Backlit keyboard - the envy of all 12" PB users; More VRAM - a big plus; faster CPU and it's thinner.

You bought a great machine - don't worry about it :).

Best wishes,
  4. Toeknee macrumors regular

Sep 24, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Recently my friend bought a 14" iBook but I was nudging him to by the 12" PB... but considering how the price difference I have to agree with his decision. I love my 15" even though it gave me some problems with a blochy/dead pixel screen, that was taken care of and im problem free now. This machine is possibly the best computer i've ever used and I can even use solid modeling programs (for Windows might i add) for my engineering classes and have them run at a bareable speed due to gobbs of RAM, 1GB. I'd take it to school more often if it werent for the super heavy books i have to carry and am afraid to crush the poor 'book with them. My advice is get a stick of 512 or 1GB from OWC ( RAM is pretty cheap now! GOOD HUNTING!
  5. herrmill macrumors member

Mar 20, 2003
    RAM Deals

FYI, I just purchased a 1G stick of ram from Outpost for $139.00 for my PB. Refer to the related thread on macrumors for comments.
  6. Champale macrumors member

Jul 23, 2004
    Chicago, USA

Oh boy did you screw up!

JK :)

I was torn too. Love the size of the 12" but since I do graphics and video editing, decided the 15" was better for me. It's still portable and you can get a bigger hard drive with it.

Both are great machines but I find the 15" to be best for my needs.
  7. vkapoormd macrumors member

Jun 14, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    i think you made the right choice; i love my 15" PB; it is the right combo of size / weight; the screen is beautiful, not to mention the outer casing, that as someone pointed out, is the envy of many PC users. Furthermore, it is faster, thinner, and has a backlit keyboard. don't second guess your decision.
  8. kilpajr macrumors regular

Aug 24, 2004
    Auburn, AL
    good decision

Just load up the UT2004 demo and show your friends all the gaming goodness. Or, load up a DVD and admire the widescreen display. I don't think the extra 0.9 lbs is going to break your back.

I just got my 15" PB (my first mac) 2 weeks ago and I love it. The only real disadvantage I see for the 15" is the battery life (although I don't know first hand how much longer the 12" would last).

I upgraded from a 14" 1024x768 Dell and I really like the extra space of the 15" PB. I wouldn't like the 12" screen at all.
  9. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

Jun 22, 2004
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    i've had my 15in PowerBook for about 4-5 days now, and I LOVE IT. I wouldnt take it back for anything, a 12in or 17in. I think its the perfect size, and its not very heavy, very easy to travel with.

I mainly got it for Editing with FCP and all the other Pro app's and such, and it does that really well

I also like the fact that it has GREAT battery life, even though the 12in has more, I think 4:30 is wonderful, and even with airport and bluetooth on, it still gets just under 4:00 when its fully charged :)

I also like the fact that it perferms soooooo well. I love to whip it out and load up "Call of Duty" on it to show all the PC-fanatics that macs can actually play games too, and I only have 64MB of VRAM, and it runs so smoothly at good resolution and settings :D
  10. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    I just got a new 15" and I love it! its small so i can take it to class and it has a nice screen for the dorm.. u made the right choice!
  11. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Jul 18, 2002
    I guess if having the super portable model isn't an issue for me (my 15' travels just fine) then you made the right choice. I love my 15", but i would have to say, why can't apple make a 13" widescreen - that would be perfect!!!!
  12. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Apr 16, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    You made the right choice with the 15". If it is your primary computer, you will really appreciate having that nice screen all the time. I think the 12" is a great portable, but I would want to use it in conjunction with a desktop computer or larger cinema display. If you can only afford one computer, the 15" is the way to go.
  13. kilpajr macrumors regular

Aug 24, 2004
    Auburn, AL
    I agree. I think sony makes a 13" widescreen with the 9700 videocard. If Apple made a PB with this screen it would be awesome.
  14. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2004
    The 15" will be your best friend, wait and see. :)

I'm typing on the 15" as I write this. I also thought about the 12", but since I knew it would be my primary computer, I went for the extra 3".

I think the 15" is the perfect marriage of portability and usability (though of course, I wouldn't mind if the next rev was lighter :)). You get a big widescreen display for just another 1.5 or so pounds. To me, that's worth it. I also get ~3.25 hours of battery life, which is fine.

Rejoice! The 15" is fab.

15. LiveForPhysics macrumors newbie

Aug 27, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    I finally received my 15" Powerbook through FedEx about 5 hours ago, and this baby is freakin' awesome! The screen is indeed a beauty, but the only thing that I'm a little annoyed about is having to reinstall all my software and update everything on here.
  16. logicat2001 macrumors regular

Apr 16, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I owned a Rev.A 12" PBook for six months. Early this year I sold off the 12" and picked up a 15". Both machines are fantastic, each tweaked to particular strengths. I do, in fact, miss the 12" form factor and battery life. That little thing felt like a tank.

However, considering I spend many, many hours every day (and night) working on my laptop, I'm ecstatic with this 15". If I travel with the PBook, I've always got my power adaptor as well; finding an outlet is never very difficult. The screen real estate, faster processor speed, brighter screen (compared to the Rev. A 12"er), and faster video card make my current laptop the most comfortable computer I've used in many a year.

Just enjoy,
  17. herrmill macrumors member

Mar 20, 2003
    Take it from one who spends 10+ hours a day typing away since early November, this 15" PB is a workhorse! You'll love the larger display size as well as the fullsize deck for typing. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend buying a quality padded sleeve style bag to protect your baby as well as a laptop stand & mouse. So far, the only wear I've experienced with all the use it gets has been on the matte finish keys.

Just be careful with heavy objects around your book - I saw one poor guy while going through airport security who dropped a soda can onto his closed 12". The screen survived, but what an ugly dent that poor guy now has to deal with!
  18. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

May 10, 2004
    I Come From A Land Down Under
    I too had the same dilemma when I chose my PowerBook, and the 15 inch won over, with the extra screen size, and the larger proportions won over. I buy computers to use Peripherals with, not to clutter them up with extra keyboards and mice, which is really what you need to do with a 12 inch 'book. The faster(although not 128) graphics card on the PowerBook sold it for me, and I am amazingly happy with my PowerBook. It has to be the best Apple I have ever bought.
  19. atszyman macrumors 68020

Sep 16, 2003
    The Dallas 'burbs
    Love my 15". Two things to make you feel better about not going 12".

1. FW800
    2. CardBus/PC Card Slot
  20. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    The 12" is cute and all, but I could never look at that little screen ALL the time. I think the 15" is the perfect blend of screen size and portability.