Calling all 23"inch ACD MR owners...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by asencif, Oct 20, 2006.

1. asencif macrumors 6502

Hello to all....I am wondering here how many MR members that own an ACD pre-August or post August(upgraded specs), especially the 23 inch one can share their experience here. There has been many threads on MR and Apple discussions about many issues with this screen and how many people return them and get an even worse one or with same problems.

I've read about so many complaints like pink hue, backlight bleed, ghosting, dead pixels, etc.. I've also read about issues with the Dell 24 inch, but people seem to be more happy with that one lately. Posts of happy experiences with the ACD's are welcomed as well as it seems there not too many of those types of posts. Thanks.

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I have the new 23" ACD. Works fine. A little bright for me, so I had to turn it down (felt like I was looking into a light bulb). But am trying to sell it now as I need the cash :(

3. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I am having absolutely no problems with my new 23" Apple Cinema Display.

I don't think it has the new specifications but it is just so gorgeous that I couldn't go back to my 22" CRT.

4. Zoowatch macrumors 6502

my 23" ACD (jan 2006) was alright (no pixels problem or pink cast)

but it has a backlight bleed at the top...

is this caused by the magnetic mount of the isight?

will apple care help me get this problem solved?

5. motomullet macrumors member

I just got mine a couple weeks ago. I love it. Ran LCD Test and I have 0 dead/stuck pixels. I have to run brightness about half way, its hard on the eyes in a dim room.

6. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Pre update 23" ACD on a Mac mini. Love it to bits, absolutely fantastic, jaw droppingly beautiful monitor with no dead pixels. I hope if you get one your experience is as good as mine.

7. Whiteapple macrumors regular

Whiteapple

my "new" ACD (August 2006) is great. It has been replaced twice previously because I was sold the "old" model.

I have no complaints other than the fact that it looks (the colors) sensibly different than other LCD's I use. (at work, and an iBook at home). For example, the links when you search google look more purple than normal. So I was like "ohh noo, the pink hue!!!". And no, the whites are white the greys are grey, just the blue doesnt look the same as other lcd's, but it's good that way.

Apple. Think Different.

8. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Calibration maybe?

9. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

august 2006 23"ACD dead and stuck pixels, also bad backlight bleed bottom left corner and along the top of the screen.

its going back.:( also mac pro problems,but thats another story.

10. asencif thread starter macrumors 6502

I just got a 23inch ACD and everything is fine....No dead/stick pixels, no ghosting, no burn in....But....That's when you put the screen on DVD player with no movie....All black screen then you can see the back light bleed on the lower left corner and slightly on the top and some on the bottom right.

Have many taken the ACD back because of this? I noticed that some iMacs have this also, but not as much. What are the chances of getting one with no issues?

EDIT: Mine is an August 2006 version as well.

11. petite macrumors member

I'm on my second August 2006 ACD. It's perfect... As long as it's turned off! Because when on it's a piece of crap.

Backlight bleeds are so noticable in blacks and couple of stuck pixels. Really bad for a screen that is supposed to be suitable for professionals.

I will probably try to return it as soon as I know Apple has new panels.

12. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

if you have no dead or stuck pixels i would stay with the screen you have now.

i dont really notice the backlight problems unless im playing a dvd at night.

try searching for pixel check software on google .

13. asencif thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah it seems that backlight is just visible during the all black DVD full screen mode. When having a black wallpaper or a website with a black background, I can't notice it. Thanks for the pixel check recommendation. Do you have any particular software you use?

14. Kace macrumors regular

no problems at all. its the recently update 23"

15. asencif thread starter macrumors 6502

16. asencif thread starter macrumors 6502

Ran the test and noticed no dead pixels. There was a tiny little microscopic dot that look like dirt, but so small you have to squint a bit to see it and it's on the upper left hand corner. Other than that no really huge pixel, or ghosting issues. The backlight is present however only when you have an all black screen and the light turned off. So this would be more noticeable if playing a DVD. Thanks for that app again.

I was debating whether to take it back because of the backlight, however it seems like it's a lottery at this point, so I think I should keep it.

17. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

I had 3 total, all pinkish. One was much older, and much more pink, which makes me worried about it getting worse over time. I switched to the 20" for better accuracy.

How important is good color to you. Most people dont even realize the display is pink until you show them. I was in the Apple store Stamford this week, as soon as you compare the AppleStore webpage gray on 23" to the 20" and 30", its obvious the 23" aint right.

Apples calibration settings wont fix the pink; not sure if a color calibrator will.

18. asencif thread starter macrumors 6502

Was there any 23 inch that you saw with correct grays? I have not checked the Apple store site closely to see if they are pink. I did notice that the 24 inch iMac screen does not have any backlight bleed in many I checked. I did see some on the 20 inch though.

19. airmac macrumors regular

old 23 inch ADC still on sale in in Europe?

I have an old 23" ADC, it*s 11 month old, so still under warranty and I noticed a strange line on the top of the monitor. Well, to make a story short I was lucky enoughy so they will replace it with the new model. I was told that I will get a new monitor in three weeks.

But, will I get a new model? Are there still old 23" ADC in Europe? What are the chances that I*ll get a new model?

20. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

its a smaller apple store, but the 3 on the floor all looked a little pinkish. I wanted to run the serial numbers to make sure they were new (its a new store) but I dont know how to read the serial number without looking underneath the screen base (cant exactly go picking stuff up at the store).

21. asencif thread starter macrumors 6502

I see you are from the NY and CT area. Which store did you go to? I'm now debating whether I should take it back. I have till Saturday to do so, however if most of them are like that then it will be tough to get a near perfect one.

22. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

I live/go to school in NY, but I work in CT a few days a week; I stopped at the store in Stamford Mall to check them out (debating getting a 30") CT sales tax is less than NY ;)

23. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

perhaps this isn't the right thread, but is the different between the old and the new 23" that significant?

24. asencif thread starter macrumors 6502

The only noticeable difference for me is the brightness. It is much brighter than the previous one, however the slight pink and backlight bleed is also evident because of this in most new screens people have encountered.

Mine has the backlight bleed in the lower right hand corner and the grays are ok, but not fully rich like the rest of the colors.