Calling all Audiophiles!

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by northernmunky, Jul 8, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

Hi all,
    Looking for some advice, some years ago I bought a 5.1 Surround Sound system (cheap model but bloody good sound out of it!). Built in Dolby decoder and optical input, the works.

Trouble is the bass box is on its last legs as it now starts stuttering over Optical input and the power supply is dodgy at best.

I only paid £60 for the whole set in Asda so I'm looking for a new set at a similar price range but the only ones I can see are a lot more expensive if it comes with optical.

Anyone know of any good value packages? Don't want any built in DVD players either... that's just tacky!

2. macrumors G4

Your terms don't go well together. "audiophile" and cheap boom boxes just don't belong in the same post.

Also at your price point "optical" will not help you one bit. Don't limit yourself by the type of cable.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

If you know about audio, I'm hoping you'd know just as much about cheap boom boxes jut as much as expensive professional ones. Thats the kind of person I need the intel from :)

Optical will be just superduper great when I have a new box to plug it into since thats whats on the back of all my media devices :)

4. macrumors 68020

What is your budget?

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

6. macrumors 68020

You're not going to find what you're looking for, unless you go used.

Try ebay or audiogone for those deals. Even then you may not even find it.

The problem is a starter 5.1 system will usually start you $200 or more.

Is this just to hook to a computer??

7. macrumors G4

Again this thread is mis-named. 5.1 systems are for games and movie sound tracks, not music. But if you want a god and cheap system with optical inputs and dolby then look in th trift stores and eBay for a used A/V receiver. They turn up real cheap, like $50 to $35. Then use remaining budget on used passive stereo speakers

8. macrumors 68020

I know. I don't think the OP has given much thought to what he wants versus what he's asking for and at what price.