Calling All College Students!!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AvSRoCkCO1067, Aug 18, 2006.

1. macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

I know a lot of us are going to be entering college for the first time or continuing with their college education this year.

So, let everyone know - what school are you going to, what year are you graduating, what are you majoring in, what classes are you taking, when do you start, where do you live (i.e. dorm-style, apartment style, frat), do you work, and anything else you want to let us know.

I'll start:

College : Colorado School of Mines
    Graduating Year : 2010 (or 2011)
    Major : Chemical Engineering/Minor in Business
    Classes : Physics I, Calc III, Geology, Microeconomics
    Start : This Tuesday!
    Live : Apartment Style Living
    Work : *Gasp* - I'm applying for a business license for Peters Photography. If I'm going to do it, it needs to be legal...

2. macrumors 601

eva01

College : Bridgewater State College
    Graduating Year : Who the **** knows when. I get sick all the time so i take off semesters sometimes
    Major : Premedical/Biology with a minor in Chemistry (Maybe decide to double major with biochem)
    Classes : Physics I (Calc based), Genetics, Spanish I, A&P I (Anatomy and Physiolog)
    Start : September 5th or 6th
    Live : Home

Also I would like to know how many college students work during the year and where if they wish to state

Work: Yes, Jordan Hospital and South Shore Hospital

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

I'm really freaking out about the Physics :eek: - it's calc-based also - any advice?

4. macrumors 601

eva01

Well I started Physics 1 last year then took off the semester due to my illness so the beginning is ridiculously easy.

You're in Calc III so obviously you are doing something right with calc, so velocity, acceleration and jerk will come easy to you. Just is derivatives and integrals.

The hard part in my mind is probably tension and those stupid word problems that you have to draw pictures, because i suck at drawing.

If you need help with it you can IM me.

#1 point of advice do everything the teacher tells you. Teacher tells you to study 3-4 hours a day. Do it!!!! You cannot study enough for physics. Just like Organic Chemistry in how indepth and howmuch there is to it

And as with general chemistry. PAY ATTENTION TO UNITS!!!!!! That is the #1 screw up with students is they do problems in their head and then forget units or forget what kind of unit like M/S (Velocity) or M/S^2 (acceleration)

5. macrumors P6

dukebound85

Well if you know calc it's not a problem. Seeing as how you are in engineering, you better be very comfortable with calculaus

Personally, I am entering in my senior year although will graduate in 5 since i want to get my masters roughly 1 semester after my BS

College: Colorado State
    Major: Mechanical Engineering with a math minor
    Classes: Metals and alloys, unix and c programming,space propolsion and power management, and materials issues in mechanical design (grad class)

Start: this upcoming monday
    Living: Apartment

Work: At a software company for 15hrs a week

6. Guest

iGary

Good thing it's not English. :p :)

7. macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

College : San Diego State University
    Graduating Year : Spring 2008
    Class Standing : Senior
    Major : Marketing
    Minor: Television, Film, & New Media
    Classes : Fundamentals of Finance (FIN323), Statistic Analyst for Business (IDS301), Management and Organizational Behavior (MGT350), and Marketing (MKTG370)
    Start : August 28
    Living Situation : In a house with three other roommates
    Work : well I'm an Engineering Aide until August 24th and hope to be one again on Sept 25th. Dam temp agency making me take a month off!

8. macrumors P6

dukebound85

Haha my freshman year, physics one and two both required about 15-20hrs a week just on the homework no joke each semester. Be prepared to work alot more in college in hs. That was the biggest adjustment I had to make since you no longer have a teacher holding your hand in a sense. That and for most of my classes, the professors try the makes the tests so a 50% is avg and then apply a massive curve at the end of the semsester. SO yea after every test, you will most likely feel you flunked it but did btter than the rest of the class so you will still get an A kinda thing you know.

This sucks if you are used to aceing tests like I was in hs lol

9. macrumors P6

dukebound85

haha yea i never did like to write and that combined with not proofreading my posts before i submit lol :)

10. macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

My freshman year at college was pretty chill. I was undeclared so I took nothing but GEs, which didn't require a lot of work. Guess I kinda eased into the college workload.

11. macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I commonly use this substance, beer, to get rid of that feeling. Then again I don't take any science courses, ever.

12. macrumors P6

dukebound85

True now that I am 21 I can do that legally lol

13. thread starter macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

I'm graduating college at 20. How cool is that? :(

14. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

College : Eastern Washington University
    Graduating Year : 2008 (hopefully)
    Major : Computer Science/Minor in Mathematics
    Classes : General Physics 153, Digital Circuits (engineering), Data Structures I
    Start : September 20th
    Live : Parents home
    Work : none

I'm going there for a Bachelors. I've already got a two-year Associate of Arts degree, a full year of Calculus (I, II, and III), and a year of Computer Science (CS 201, 203, and 211- that's Java I, Java II, and C).

I'm taking the Calc-based physics too. I've already gotten through all my Calculuses, but I took breaks between each one. I took Calculus 1 when I was 15, so at this point I've forgotten most of it :eek: will it be easy to refresh my memory in the class or will they have ultra-high expectations from the get-go?

I'm 18 years old. Hopefully I'll be graduating at 20, looks like I'll either graduate right before or right after I turn 21 (as it's supposed to take me 2 years and 1 quarter).

15. macrumors P6

dukebound85

are you 16 currently? You also put 2011 as a potential year for graduating so you must be 15! Right on man

Hard thing about that is it will be hard to hook up with chicks but you are at mines where the ratio is like 80% guys 20% girls so it would be hard enough anyways lol

Best of luck this year, I personally love college (part of the reason I am going 5) and I love engineering

16. macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

Well here's to the slackers on the 5 year or more plan. w00t me! :cool:

17. thread starter macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

lol, no - let's say I graduate in 4 years.

17 currently - 2006-2007
    18 - 2007-2008
    19 - 2008-2009
    20 - 2009-2010

Did you say you were an engineer!? :rolleyes: ;) :D

18. macrumors P6

dukebound85

yea maybe i should switch majors lol, dang cant even add

19. macrumors 604

clayj

Sounds like you should be in poli-sci.

20. macrumors 68020

thedude110

Have you taken any English courses with David Matlin?

I'm so jealous ... you have the entire George Oppen archives on your campus. I've been told that when Oppen would revise his poems he would tape over words he had already typed or written with the new/revised words -- creating these wild palimpsests that could be read through their drafts. Cool stuff.

See if you can look at them for me. ;)

21. macrumors newbie

College : UNC Chapel Hill
    Graduating Year : 2010
    Major : Medicine
    Classes : Block 1: Molecules to Cells, Introduction to Clinical Medicine, Medicine in Society, Clinical Applications....Anatomy starts in October
    Start : Started 14 August....
    Live : house
    Work : Laptop tech liason

I graduated from undergrad at UNC (Biochemistry, minor in Music), and glad to be in med school here!

22. macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

No I haven't. I looked him up and he's teaching Techniques of Poetry (ENGL 570), Sem: Blake In The Present (ENGL 724), and Mfa Seminar: Fiction Writing (ENGL 750F) this semester.

George Oppen's collection looks to be over at UCSD instead of SDSU, though I'll try to make over there during the next month and check it out for ya.:)

23. macrumors G5

yg17

College : Unversity of Missouri-Rolla
    Graduating Year : 2008
    Major : Information Science & Technology
    Classes : Telecommunications, web design, database management, macroeconomics, art appreciation (don't ask....damn gen eds :rolleyes: )
    Start : This Monday, although I've been in this hellhole of a town since Sunday
    Live : Renting a house
    Work : IT helpdesk

24. macrumors 65816

it5five

College : Arizona State University
    Graduating Year : 2010
    Major : Film and Media Production
    Classes : Intro to Film, Race and Ethnicity in American Film, Film History, Academic Balance for Fine Arts Majors, College Mathematics, Buried Cities and Lost Tribes (Full Load :( )
    Start : August 21
    Live : Home for now. Will be moving closer to school next year.
    Work : I just quit my job a week ago to find something more flexible. I will have one soon though.

25. macrumors 6502

College : Middle Tennessee State University
    Graduating Year : 2008
    Major : Experimental Psychology (Masters)
    Classes : Advanced Cognitive, Psych Testing, and Graduate Statistics: Regression
    Start : the Monday after next
    Live : apartment -- i move tomorrow
    Work : ummm grad school is work...right? yeah ok, no job.