Calling all experts: Resolution setting

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jmnw, Jul 21, 2005.

1. jmnw macrumors newbie

Jul 21, 2005
    Hi all - hope someone has an answer...

I am on a G4 (Digital Audio) running 10.2.8 @ 733 MHz and I just purchased a 19" ViewSonic LCD.

The monitor should be set at 1280 x 1024, and the highest setting option available in my display settings is 1024 x 768. My icons are large and the screen is fuzzy.

How do I get the higher setting option? Is my Mac not recognizing the new monitor? When I uncheck the Show Modes Recommended by Display, the lowest rez grays out, so it seems to be recognizing it.

Is this an OS issue? Video card? And if so, how do I even know what video card I have?

2. joetronic macrumors 6502

Dec 9, 2004
    New Oxford, PA
    in the display system pref, have you selected to show all resolutions, not just recommended?
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Most likely it's a video card thing if it's not fixed by joetronic's solution. What sort of video card do you have?
  4. wPod macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    sounds like the proper video card drivers are not installed. but mac is usually really good with hardware drivers. unless you are running some non-native video card. go to applications>utilities>system profiler then select graphics/displays. see what it says there about your video card. and tell us so we might provide more answers.
  5. jmnw thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 21, 2005

Yes, I have unchecked the "Display Settings Recommended by Display" - I can get to the Apple System Profiler, but there is no Video/Displays option there.

Under Devices and Volumes, it reads:

PCI --> SLOT-1(AGP)
    USB Information -->KTG USB/PS2 Wireless Wheel Mouse
    --> Hub in Apple Extended USB Keyboard --> Apple Extended USB Keyboard

System Profile has Machine speed, Bus speed, Number of processors, L2 cache size, Machine model, Boot ROM info.

More help?

Thank you! Jen.