Calling all Graphic Arts & Techies..... Help me compare CTR, LCD, & Plasma

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by walkingmac, Nov 27, 2003.

1. walkingmac macrumors 6502

walkingmac

ok.... it has long been a dream of mine to use a large (36" or 42") Plasma screen for my computer monitor. With new applications requiring so much realestate on the screen, this would be awesome.

But like all other dreams and ambitions there is always a catch, screen resolution. The average screen resolution on a plasma is 852 x 480 (42"). While this should be ok (speculations here) for basic computer usage, web browsing, and video editing, what are the drawbacks when it comes to items for print. I could be wrong, maybe there would be problems that included web site construction, video editing, basically anything that was going outside the viewing area of my huge bueaty that would be sitting on my desk or hanging on a near by wall.

I guess (from my uneducated glances) that the important thing when it comes to all this is how many pixels there are and etc....

Is there anyone out there who knows about all or something about CTR, LCD, and Plasma screens to clearly explain the pros and cons of each display technologies and what kind of drawbacks i could expect especially from a Plasma Display.

2. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

Sorry but if resolution of it is 852 x 480 then thats completely unacceptable for any computer work, you can bearly surf internet with that.
    Video editing is completly out of the question.

Those big screens aren't intended for everyday use with computers unless you need them to watch dvd's from computer or presentation..

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yeah, do not get a plasma screen for use as your primary monitor, they are good for presentations & games but that's about it. I sometimes hook my Mac up to my plasma (with a res on 1280x768, high for a plasma screen :D), and it looks nice, but I still would never even consider having it as my only screen. Get a nice LCD/flat CRT ;)

4. walkingmac thread starter macrumors 6502

walkingmac

that makes sense.... whick leaves me with a few other options a want to throw on the table to ur'alls opions....

a) is it possable to cheat the screen resolution? there is the obvious number of pixels avialable from the plasma screen, but can the computer cheat that and give it a 1280x768 area. Or mayabe just get a better one that has atleast that. idk. There by being 'ok' for basic use and creative applications that don't need to be pin point accurate (web design, video editing). And at the same time have a second monitor hooked up as well that could be used for Photoshop type stuff...

b) forget all about it

c) Just get the 30" LCD screen when it comes out.

Thoughts?

5. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

a. don't think so
    b. i agree
    c. your best option yet!!:D but see d.
    d. haven't you heard the rumors about even bigger screens from Apple? 42"....

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If you are going to be doing graphic arts/printing seriously then a CRT is you only option because they have the most accurate color representation of any current type of display.

Lethal

7. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

If you have a spare wall, and the money to buy a plasma pannel, buy a projector. The ultamate in big screens

8. walkingmac thread starter macrumors 6502

walkingmac

tru.... and have really looked into that.... but in the long run I am spending more $$$ just in bulbs i would think

9. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

a) No

b) yes

c) huh?

you sound like you serious if you want to drop that much cash. the best monitor will be a CRT for video editing and Photoshop. Both require a lot screen space anyways and you need at least 1024x768. it gonna be pathetic to edit photos in 852 x 452. don't even think about it. CRT are the best if you are serious about this stuff.

http://displaysbysony.com/display/model.jsp?pModelId=577

10. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

I run triple monitors, all are crt. people say lcd are better but I just don't get it.

I have a 19" @ 1600x1200 with a 15" on each side of it @ 1280x1024. all three with the extra dual video card for probably less than any lcd that does 1600x1200 but even then it would be just one screen. crt has more pros than cons.

trust me, crt or not.. when you entire desktop is 4160 pixels wide like mine you really won't care that they are crt.

11. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I agree with you blue & whiteman! Especially if you buy an old second hand Apple 20 inch monitor it will cost you only 200 Euro's here in the Netherlands, and that's from an Appledealer and he checked the monitor complety! And it is cool to have multiple displays on your desk. Once you have them, you don't wanna go back!