Calling all NYC Mac/AirPort users!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by gotohamish, May 20, 2003.

1. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

Hello

I'm visiting New York in a couple of weeks from the UK, and am taking my AirPort-equipped PowerBook.

I'm staying on 30th and Madison at the Thirty Thirty hotel (which says it has internet, but I don't know how and where) and would like somewhere nearby to get high-speed internet (preferably AirPort and preferable free!), but I definitelty need to use my own machine as I'll be uploading my site pages whilst there.

Any NY internet help would be great! Cheers
    Hamish

PS, also, aside from the Apple Store SoHo, are there any good Mac sites to be seen? Not just regular stores that it, perhaps something a little different?

2. peterj1967 macrumors regular

Just Steal ;-)

Since people, for the most part, are careless about the security of their wireless internet access, you should just walk into a neighborhood with your powerbook, find a signal, sit on the stoop of the building your near and surf away. Upper East Side would be good to try. Go to the Met for a while, then walk east and see what you find.

If you're homesick, you can get a good Guinness at Trinity Pub on 84th between 2nd and 3rd

Heck, I was stealing my neighbors wireless access for weeks.

Sitting on a stoop using a computer is perfectly acceptable NY behavior, and if your visiting, people watching is a requirement. So bring something comfortable to sit on.

Nothing fancy but a great store, you should visit TekServe, the old reliable Mac Store in NYC. (I don't work there) http://www.tekserve.com/

3. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

4. gotohamish thread starter macrumors 65816

gotohamish

That's great news - thanks for that.

Keep the suggestions coming!!!

5. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

sorry to jack the thread, but does anyone know if Tompkins Square Park has wireless as well?

I know Bryant does...and I belive its pretty fast...I dont have a laptop so I dont know...

6. nydoofus macrumors regular

http://www.nycwireless.net

Failing that, just scan around. There are dozens of unsecured AP's broadcasting in any given area of NYC :D

7. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

I live less then a block from Tompkins Square Park. I've only tried once in the park, but my iBook did not detect a network. I think it's a lot more of an ad-hoc network as opposed to Bryant Park, which was obviously well organized and funded.

8. bschack macrumors newbie

Starbucks on the corner of 29th street and park avenue south (a couple of blocks away)

9. gotohamish thread starter macrumors 65816

gotohamish

Thanks for all the help - you've made my trip even easier than it was.

I assume I don't need to be a member of anything to use these? Just drop down my AirPort menu, select and surf?

Hope so, I didn't see any member info on the links you all sent me.

I had a problem in Tokyo where I found dozens of AirPort signals, both free and subscribed, but everything needs member info etc and it's a real hassle when you don't speak Japanese!

10. andrewlandry macrumors member

tons of free wireless in NYC. my favorite place is alt.coffee on Avenue A, between St. Mark's and 9th Street (across from Thompkins Square Park).

The aforementioned TekServe has very fast free wireless, as does the Apple Store in Soho.

You shouldn't have any problems finding free wireless - it's all over the city. but i thought i'd offer a few more places that you can count on in case you are having bad luck or slow speeds.

11. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

I thought that alt.coffee had amplified their signal to cover at least part of the park. All I know is I sat in a park bench just inside the Avenue A entrance to the park (very close to alt.coffee), and my iBook didn't detect a network.

Hmm...maybe I'll try actually going into alt.coffee and checking it out. I was all psyched to go work in the park now that the weather's warmer, though. I was going to buy one of those light-blocking hoods for my iBook and everything...

12. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

thats cool. my gf and I are moving across the street from Tompkins square park on the 31st.....so that's why we were wondering...

she wanted to use it in the park, and I figure the signal might reach the apt and then I'd get airport for my Tower...

13. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Well, welcome to the neighborhood :D

Tompkins Sq. Park might not have reliable wireless service, but it's still an oasis of calm where you can hear the birds chirping, the wind blowing through the trees, the children laughing, and the dogs frolicking.

14. andrewlandry macrumors member

i've gotten airport reception in Thompkins Square Park on the benches by the playground. it came and went though. maybe there is a certain part of the park that gets great reception. i would have investigated, but there were some sketchy people eyeing my iBook, so i figured it was time to enjoy a cup of coffee at alt. :)

15. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Yeah, I was really hoping to get reception in the big lawn in the middle. I mean, I don't want to sit down at a park bench with my iBook, I want to sit on the grass...

16. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

If you like fast food and wireless internet access then here is a good link.

www.mcdwireless.com

I don't think it's free, but I think I read somewhere that if you buy a value meal you get some internet surfing for free. :)

17. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Normally you can do what they are doing, random scanning, most networks, like mine are non-WEP encrypted (which can be cracked anyway so what is the use?) (ps... if you care about this search the fourms there has been a topic or 2 on this)

I mean besides for all of these places normally inside of a hotel you might find someone else having a wireless network (I have done that before) .

You will have no real problem, walk down a couple blocks, your almost guaranteed.
    Lets just hope they don't *ha* have a pass *ha* or WEP *mega ha* on their network. :p

18. gotohamish thread starter macrumors 65816

gotohamish

Thanks - all of you - you've been most helpful! I appreciate it.

19. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Hhahahaha, Mc Donalds wireless thats great, having a burger and on iChat, can't get any better than that.