Calling all RAM experts!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by adk, Nov 25, 2006.

1. adk macrumors 68000

adk

CanadaRam and others, I need your expertise!

I know that my Powerbook takes DDR PC2700 speed ram. but a few questions:

1. I've heard DDR memory is backwards compatible. does this mean I can put DDR PC3200 ram into my powerbook?

2. Looking on NewEgg.com I've noticed that some DDR PC2700 ram specifically say they're for Macs, while others don't. Is there any difference?

3. Is it at all worth it to shell out a few extra bucks for a Cas latency of 2 instead of 2.5? I'm not exactly a power user, I just like to leave everything open.

EDIT: oh, and there's no problem with me mixing an apple 512MB stick with a 1GB stick is there?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Help if we knew WHICH Powerbook.

The first Aluminium Powerbooks (1.0 and 1.25 15" and 1.0 and 1.33 17") use voltage slewing during power saving, and this plays hob with RAM which isn't 100% compatible. Stick with Samsung PC2700 or RAM that is vendor tested and guaranteed for those SPECIFIC models of G4 Powerbook. If they don't specify, don't buy.

In other Powerbooks, generic PC2700 RAM may work, or may not if the SPD settings or chip organization are not correct. In specific there have been lots of reports of the Kingston ValueRAM KVR333X64SC25/xxx series failing in Powerbooks, while the KTA-PBG4/xxx series is fine.

In general -- why pay extra for PC3200 SODIMMs? They are uncommon and pricey, there's a compatiblity risk, and there's absolutely no performance benefit to be had. As well, there is no performance befit I have ever seen to reduced latency, and true low latency modules are stupidly expensive. (Modules where the seller lies about the latency on the other hand, are merely ripoffs.)

You can mix sizes, yes. Don't mix speeds.

If you can, choose a reputable vendor who tests and guarantees compatibility with YOUR model Mac, offers a lifetime warranty and a no-cost return if it doesn't work.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

3. adk thread starter macrumors 68000

adk

Oops, sorry. 2nd last rev, 1.67 15" with 1280x854 display. Currently running 2x512MB apple ram.

Anyways, thanks so much. I just found a 1GB crucial stick on Newegg for $120US, I may go with that. I only asked about the PC3200 because my friend might have some to sell soon, but if I can't mix RAM speeds I guess I'll have to turn him away to sell it on ebay or something.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If you like.... however NewEgg sells the generic Crucial part numbers, does not guarantee compatibility, and they do not have a no-cost return if it doesn't work. They charge shipping, plus possibly a 15% restocking charge if you want a refund.

Data Memory Systems has a 1 Gb guaranteed compatible, lifetime guaranteed module for US$122, including shipping, no tax, and they are a far better company to deal with.