Calling developers, ghastly problem - user access. Please help.

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by JW Pepper, Oct 12, 2002.

1. JW Pepper macrumors regular

PowerTerm is a carbonised application and I can't let my staff use it and it is killing me. If you have a look at this .pdf (150k) http://62.49.189.82/~paul/Help.pdf it says it all.

I really need to resolve this problem, so if there are any developers who can suggest where the problem lies I will be very greatful.

2. Choppaface macrumors 65816

hmm that's odd, though I've gotten stuff like that before

maybe you can find the pref file that the info gets written to and enter in the stuff yourself in pico or whatnot

3. JW Pepper thread starter macrumors regular

What do you mean? Can you explain what exactly you are suggesting. In laymans terms.

Thanks.

4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

What choppaface was suggesting was open the raw preferences file that those checkboxes get written to (buried somewhere in the system, I couldn't find it), and then manually write that information into the preference file using some sort of text editor.

Here's a suggestion: launch Disk Utility (in the Applications/Utilities folder) and run "Repair Disk Permissions". I'm suggesting you run Repair Disk Permissions because perhaps whenever you change the preferences it doesn't have sufficient privileges to write to that preference file so your changes aren't saved.

Another temporary solution, I think, would be to allow the user admin privileges. Assuming you trust them, of course. :)

5. JW Pepper thread starter macrumors regular

6. JW Pepper thread starter macrumors regular

I am only having problems with this application. I seem to be able to allow/dissallow other applications without any problem.

The whole point of this exercise is to control the applications the user can access. Browsing ther web and chatting on MSN are not part of his job function!

7. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Interesting, so it's just that one program. And it's located within the Applications folder like all the other programs?

8. JW Pepper thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, it's in the applications folder. Interestingly it is not the only application that is effected, the Macally iMouse Pro programme for OS X is also suffering from this problem. I have tried opening the packages of programmes that work and comparing them to those that don't and I cannot find a common factor :(

I have also checked the permissions and Can't see anything that would help here either.

I have sent an email to ericom, the develoiper and they could not have been more helpful. They are taking it seriously and can re-produce the problem, but they don't know the cause of the problem. I guess that they will have direct contact wiht Apple via the developer connection so they may get further than I have ... Apple said they would call me back... I am still waiting.