Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dentifrice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
Hi!

I've been using my Wahoo TICKR X chest strap with the wahoo fitness app for a while. To be honest, I always suspected my calories in the wahoo fitness app a little bit high.

Now I have an apple watch. I did several tests. The last one was today and I'll talk about this one.

What I do :

I connect my chest strap to my iphone (bluetooth) and I start my run using the wahoo fitness app

At the same time, I start an "Outdoor run" on my watch.

One thing I can say, I'm REALLY impressed with the apple watch. I looked at my HR on the watch and on the app every minutes or so. Every time, the HR is the same on both the watch and the chest strap (less than 5 heart beats difference).

But the results...really not the same ! Both the watch and the app have my age, weight and height correctly set. So the way calories are count are really different.

For the same session :

wahoo :258 calories

watch : 136 active calories, 38 resting for a total of 174.

Now, what is the correct way to measure calories. Only active as apple does or total as almost all other companies do ?

Do you know other product that only count active calories (like apple) ?

But even with this, the watch total is significantly under the wahoo app... Anyone using the same products as me ?

From what I understand, active calories make more sense than "total". Why other don't do that ?

mark824

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2014
There are calculators out there that use your average heart rate for the exercise, time, age, weight, sex, height to give you your net calorie goal. I use the Polar App because it it takes it give the closest to the net calorie burn as I have seen. The numbers are spot on with the heart rate based calorie calculators.

Kurri

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
I was curious seems like people are complaining about the fitness aspect of the watch. Do you think this is something that can be fixed with 2.0, or is it the actual watch itself?

Dentifrice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
I'm sure it's software problem only. Heart rate monitoring works well. It's only the way they calculate it.

midloman

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2010
Midllothian, VA
I used to use a Garmin Vivoactive before getting the Watch. I believe Garmin also measures only the active calories during a workout and reports that to Garmin Connect.

I'm also still having a huge problem with the resting calorie number total for each day. It seems to be off by 1500-1800 calories a day. I keep hearing stories that it's a software fix that Apple knows about and is working on, but I don't know for sure. Anyone have any input?

I mentioned this to an Apple employee the other day; he had never really looked at it. When he checked his, his response was "Oh, that can't be right.". He started googling it and came to the conclusion that Apple was working on a fix. Thought that was odd given the "genius bar" was only 30 feet away from him. Of course, I don't know if there knowledge or response would be any more reliable than what Google found.

Dentifrice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
Forget the people working at apple retail stores, they don't know anything more than you ....

It would be fun to have someone here testing watchos 2 to see if it changed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.