Caltech protocol: 8,609 Mbps

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Doctor Q, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

California Institute of Technology press release:
    Cal Tech posted a list of article links. There is also a BusinessWeek article about FAST, dated April 7, 2003 and titled Connections That Leave Broadband in the Dust. I think only subscribers can read it online.

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

In an unrelated story, an RIAA agent was released on bond yesterday after pleading not guilty to killing half a dozen Caltech computer scientists. He has since disappeared.

3. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

4. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

First, multi-gigabit/sec throughput is achieved in the laboratory. Then ISPs will provide it to high-paying customers. Then Internet sites will start taking advantage of it to provide services that requires such bandwidth. Then there will be more demand for it. Then ISPs will sell it to more customers. After a while, everyone will expect it.

Then multi-terabit/sec throughput will be achieved in the laboratory...

Parent: Bedtime!

Child: Hold on, I need 5 minutes to download the entire sum of mankind's knowledge into this credit card sized device. The one from yesterday is out of date.

5. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

interesting achievement,
    unfortunatly, i can only see it in our hands in about 10 years. The avarage throughput is 4 gbts. that sounds quiete difficult to achieve.
    another problem is that the signals will not be able to get over large distances in that time. Glasfibre cables can only reach about 1500 km without amplifier. So how shall it be possible to make a copper cable make that trhougput ?