Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
Here's my dilema. I'm a Junior in high school and I'm already planning for college. I'm definitely getting a PowerBook or iBook with an education discount right before I go off to college. I also had an iPod which got stolen :mad: so I'm planning on buying a new one sometime. I'm definitely waiting til the 4th generation comes out. So my question is should I spend $300 on an iPod in a few months when 4th gen comes out? Or should I wait 2 years when I could get one for $70(edu discount plus cam and jam)? That is, if there even will be a "cam and jam" promotion in 2 years. Do you think there will even be a promotion like that in 2 years? Are they pretty consistant in offering this year after year? Also, anyone know when the 4th generations will be announced? Maybe at Paris?

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
johnbro23 said:
Here's my dilema. I'm a Junior in high school and I'm already planning for college. I'm definitely getting a PowerBook or iBook with an education discount right before I go off to college. I also had an iPod which got stolen :mad: so I'm planning on buying a new one sometime. I'm definitely waiting til the 4th generation comes out. So my question is should I spend $300 on an iPod in a few months when 4th gen comes out? Or should I wait 2 years when I could get one for $70(edu discount plus cam and jam)? That is, if there even will be a "cam and jam" promotion in 2 years. Do you think there will even be a promotion like that in 2 years? Are they pretty consistant in offering this year after year? Also, anyone know when the 4th generations will be announced? Maybe at Paris?
First off, it's CRAM and jam - cram- like studying. :p

Wait two years??? This promotion ends in August!! If you want an ipod, buy one now! There might be another similar promotion in two years, but would you honestly want to wait?? Ipod prices (as well as powerbook prices) will be drastically different in 2 years.

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
^ What he said. If you want in on the promote, you gotta get it now. When promotes like this happens, it's meant to clean out the stock on old stuff, and to clean out the old stock only. Once they are gone, Apple will end the promote and introduce the new version. There's absolutely no chance you can get the new iPod w/ the promote.

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
The 4th generation iPods are expected to come out in September. I think this "Cram and Jam" promotion is to help dwindle supplies. I'd wait and see what September brings. Maybe it'll be announced in Paris along with the iMac G5's... ;).

Best wishes,
JOD8FY

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
Well, the thing is, is that I have to wait 2 years to get my PowerBook. I already have an eMac to last me 2 years. And plus why would I want a 1.33 Ghz PB now when I could have a 2.0+ Ghz PB in 2 years? Don't you think there's any chance of getting an iPod promotion during the summer of '06 similar to this one? I know you dont have crystal balls, but what was last years "cram and jam" type promotion? Did it have to do with the iPod?

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
johnbro23 said:
Well, the thing is, is that I have to wait 2 years to get my PowerBook. I already have an eMac to last me 2 years. And plus why would I want a 1.33 Ghz PB now when I could have a 2.0+ Ghz PB in 2 years? Don't you think there's any chance of getting an iPod promotion during the summer of '06 similar to this one? I know you dont have crystal balls, but what was last years "cram and jam" type promotion? Did it have to do with the iPod?
Your concerned about buying something now and having it outdated in 2 years? Of course it will be outdated, if it were a wintel laptop it would be outdated by the time you took it out of the box. If you need a laptop now then buy it. And does a couple of new ipod features justify $200 to you? :confused:

And if the powerbook will only be at 2 ghz in two years, i'm going to be pissed! :eek:

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
hmmmm....

not sure quite how it was last year but my friend bought a lap top last year and got an 10gb ipod for 99 canadian, sooo..... I'm guessing that there will be some sort of ipod promotion thing next year as long as the ipod doesnt' change drastically.

kidA

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
you're trying to predict whether or not they'll have a promotion like this in two years. answer: no one knows. no one really cares right now. it's two years away. if you want an ipod, buy one now. if you need a laptop now, buy one. but if you don't need a laptop now, you'd be dumber than a bag of hammers to go and spend $2000 on a laptop you don't need just so you can get $200 off an ipod. that makes no sense. if you have the money for the powerbook now, just buy the stupid ipod for $300 now and put the rest of the money in a CD or a mutual fund if you have one, and in two years you can have saved up enough money to buy a brand new powerbook. you're thinking about spending $2000 to save $200. again, that makes absolutely no sense at all.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
There is another 10 GB 3G iPod refurb available for $199 without the dock.

That makes much more sense than buying a laptop computer that you don't really need in order to get an iPod.

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
kidA said:
you're trying to predict whether or not they'll have a promotion like this in two years. answer: no one knows. no one really cares right now. it's two years away. if you want an ipod, buy one now. if you need a laptop now, buy one. but if you don't need a laptop now, you'd be dumber than a bag of hammers to go and spend $2000 on a laptop you don't need just so you can get $200 off an ipod. that makes no sense. if you have the money for the powerbook now, just buy the stupid ipod for $300 now and put the rest of the money in a CD or a mutual fund if you have one, and in two years you can have saved up enough money to buy a brand new powerbook. you're thinking about spending $2000 to save $200. again, that makes absolutely no sense at all.

I'm defintely not going to get a PB for 2 years. I already have an eMac that does everything I want it to do. I'm just debating on waiting til I buy my laptop to get my iPod for a discount (in 2 years) or get one when the next generation come out. So my only question was your predictions on whether or not there will even be a promotino like this in 2 years. So I guess you've already answered that, that no one knows.

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
johnbro23 said:
So my only question was your predictions on whether or not there will even be a promotino like this in 2 years.

Two years? you want a two year prediction?

Who knows what the hell Apple will even be selling in two years, they could give up computers for toaster ovens by then…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.