Cambodia..

Discussion in 'Community' started by asif786, Jul 5, 2005.

1. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

So, has anyone here ever been to cambodia? (for any amount of time..).

I'm just thinking of doing some voluntary work this year (no, not in cambodia) but everybody is always talking about that place..they all seem so educated in the matter..but i have no idea.

have you ever been? what's it like? is it disturbingly dangerous? i'd appreciate any info :)

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Never been there, but my in-laws have -- they very much enjoyed the trip! There don't appear to be any particular advisories on Cambodia right now, but you can look at the State Department information sheet here and decide for yourself if it's worth it to go.

3. asif786 thread starter macrumors 65816

asif786

thanks for the tip wordmunger. i had a look, and just one paragraph put me off:

still, would be interesting to go. Now if only tickets weren't £1000+ (~$2300)

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

A holiday in Cambodia huh? Where have I heard that before...
    ;)

5. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

I have to say that I've never been to Cambodia, but I have always wanted to go. Consequently, I've tried to keep up with how things there are.

As recently as 1995, Cambodia was still one of the world's most dangerous places. As one tour book put it, while any military ordinance that one might find in Vietnam was likely decades old and inert, such objects in Cambodia were likely to recently placed and lethal. One disturbing anecdote was about the passenger trains: the locomotives would push one or two cars full of gravel ahead of themselves to try to detonate any mines that had been put under the tracks. Riding on top of these gravel cars was a free but hazardous way poor locals travelled.

From what I understand, security has improved enormously since the death of Pol Pot and the ensuing dissolution of the Khmer Rouge. No new land mines are being planted, although you would still be well advised to stay on the trails when visiting any areas outside the cities, such as Ankgor Wat.

Personally, my trip for this year is already set (Bhutan), but Cambodia remains on my list.

Hope you decide to go!

6. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

I'd recommed Angelina Jolie's book on doing work in Cambodia. The title escapes me right this moment, but I have read excerpts from it and the parts I read were enlightening and heartbreaking. Sometimes heartbreaking can be good, when it moves us to action.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't know. I know that's supposed to hint at something obvious, but I'm a little slow today. :p

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

"holiday in Cambodia... where the people are all dressed in black" not a funny reference at all, but it was in a fairly popular song by the Dead Kennedys. anyone wanting to know more, read up on Cambodian history if you want to understand the origins of that.

I have been, no words really can describe it (not in the amount of time I have to spare on this anyway) for all the horrific past that beautiful country has endured, it's surprisingly friendly and full of fascinating things to see and do. The interesting factor takes over the fear factor, it really does. I was expecting to be scared out of my mind, it really wasn't like that. It is not the place to get into trouble however, just use some common sense and you'll be fine.
    South East Asia is amazing, I'd recommend it to those who know what they are getting into.

I am not sure what you want to know, so I am not sure where to begin. did you want a rundown of Cambodian history or recommendations on visiting it?