cambridge oxford interview thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mord, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i just got mine, it's on the seventh of december at johns college, i got an offer from bristol which is where i wanted to go but now the cambridge thing has come along so well i think i may have to switch my focus.

anyone elce get an interesting bit of mail this morning?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Congratulations on the interview. Does the Bristol offer mean you don't need an interview there, you've definitely got a place? Well done and welcome back. :)

3. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

yeah, that unconditional offer basically allows me to be as lazy as i like for the rest of the school year.

+ after acctually working i still have a heck allot of free time and i just ended up getting a fek load of moderator points at slashdot which has never happened before.

4. mackster17 macrumors newbie

I haven't even applied to a uni yet!!!!!!

Think I missed the boat on Cambridge and Oxford, I wouldn't stand a chance getting in there on my lowly BTEC anyway :eek:. What grades do you need to get to get into Cambridge?

I think I better get onto that UCAS site and start applying.

Congrats on the interview :)

5. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

strangely enough my cisco qualifications count as a BTEC, and i think thats what impressed them so much, 2/3 of offers are three A's 1/3 are AAB and a very few are lower.

currently i'm takeing CCNA2, maths physics and electronics.

6. mackster17 macrumors newbie

I'm doin a BND in aerospace engineering which is supposed to count as 3 A-Levels but it's still a vocational course, so i think i'l have a harder time than A-level students getting accepted. I need to work really hard this year if i want to get into uni.

7. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

heh - this brings back memories -I had my interview at Cambridge (Pembroke) 12 years ago. They offered me a place if I got AAAB which I didn't, so I went to Durham instead which I loved.

Good luck with your interview, but don't worry if you don't get in, Bristol is a great Uni too....

8. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I had an interview at Cambridge last year which wasn't much fun at all. The people didn't seem that friendly and it just didn't seem that kind of place I'd spend four years.

I didn't end up getting an offer but I did from Imperial where quite a few of my classmates have turned down Cambridge to come to. We ARE #1 for engineering in Europe according to the times though :).

9. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Good luck with it. I can't speak for St John's Cambridge as I had an interview at Oxford, but I do know that both universities are trying very hard to make the selection process as fair and unbiased as possible. Be confident, open and honest. Don't worry about what to wear. ;)

What subject are you applying for?

10. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

natural sciences; theoretical physics with 25% computer science.

11. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

How do requirements in the U.K. for Oxford and Cambridge compare to those for U.S. students? I applied to both on a whim, and was surprised to get interviews at both - had to take two separate trips to New York for them. I ended being accepted at Cambridge, rejected by Oxford, but couldn't go as I didn't win any scholarships, my parents wouldn't help, and I couldn't save up enough. Anyhow, I'm curious because my high school tramscripts weren't considered by either - They looked at the scores on my A.P. tests, SAT scores from both times I tested, and several writing samples. Is that only for international students or does that apply in Britain as well?

P.S. - I'm sorry if I sound like I'm bragging, but really, I'm damn proud of myself for having been accepted :)

12. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

they looked at my module results and my predicted grades (three A's) and all my other qualifications such as my apple tech certs, IT essentials 2, CCNA1 thus i have allot of extra things under my belt, from lectures to teaching kids to my musical talents.

not trying to undermine your pride but uk uni's very much want more foreign students as they make a heck of allot more money on them, just as they used to take more privet students as their parents have to pay higher fees.

as to what to wear for me it is actually important, i tend to dress badly because their is no one at my school a care to impress that would judge me by my appearance, i'll wear more plain cloths, less black than usual, though i'll probably end up wearing an apple t shirt and blue jeans...

13. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Ah, that makes sense. Oh well. Most people here don't know that ;-) At commencement, when they announced my college choice (I didn't yet know I wouldn't be able to go), the crowd gasped. After a crappy HS experience, it felt like a sweet sort of vindication.

14. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

though actually your not allowed to apply to both cambridge and oxford, if they found out about it you wouldn't be allowed in, if you took them to court over it you would probably win but it's in the rules that your only allowed to apply for one.

15. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

I think the rule is... don't wear anything *too* outrageous. Academics certainly don't make a big effort to dress up, that's for sure! Again, I know it's not Cambridge but there's some useful advice here:

http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/interviews/

16. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Good luck with that, I can still clearly remember my interviews at Cambridge 23 years ago :eek:, and they certainly required some quick thinking, but I muddled through somehow. St John's is v nice, well it was good enough for Douglas Adams. :p