Cambridge SoundWorks speakers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Cloudgazer, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Cloudgazer macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

For ages now I've wanted to get a set of speakers for my powerboo and iPod.
    I absolutely love the SoundSticks II, but can't really justify spending that kind of money.
    and while the Creatures are also pretty nice, i have my doubts about the sound quality and loudness.
    The JBL Encounters were yet another set i considered.

But right now, I can't justify spending any money on speakers.

Then last week i noticed my boss had left his PC speakers behind (he went to work elsewhere) - they're a little old but they're small and have a sub.

So I took them home, hooked them up and was completely blown away by them.
    did some research and discovered that these Cambridge SoundWorks speakers were designed by Henry Kloss.

So, I'm a very happy camper right now - i got a pair of decent sounding speakers and didn't have to pay for them.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. :)

Attached Files:

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

3. condor macrumors member

I've had a set of these for many years. Currently, they are hooked up to the Airport Express in my home office and serve well as remote speakers. I have to have the subwoofer turned way down or else the bass is overpowering. It just rattles through the floors, which the downstairs neighbors don't appreciate! :D

4. Cloudgazer thread starter macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

Fully!
    I noticed this too. The bass is incredible. Almost too much...
    My neighbours haven't complained... yet.

The sound from these speakers is truly impressive.

5. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Yep I had the Cambridge Soundworks FPS2000 Digital 4.1's a few years back, and they really do kick ass. Those tiny speakers do put out some loud sound.

The creatures and soundsticks are overrated.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Wow, I'm surprised that anyone likes them. I've had a Dolby Digital 5.1 set for a few years now and they're sitting disconnected now. Of course, with the Creature set and the Sound Sticks II in the mix, I can't say that I could choose.

Free is a good price, though. :)

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I actually had CSW speakers for my home theater system and they were an excellent value with great performance for the price. (I still have them , but have not found a need/ desire to hook them up).

Note that CSW is now a division of Creative, the folks suing Apple for the "Zen patent"...

B

8. Cloudgazer thread starter macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

Exactly!
    :D
    Which is why I'm so happy with them.
    The sound quality was an added unexpected bonus.

balamw: Yeah I read about Creative buying CSW when doing my homework on my FREE speakers.

9. jtown macrumors 6502

I've got their original 5.1 Desktop Theatre set hooked up to my TV and DVD player. Bought it way back in the 90s when they first came out. Still work fine after all this time.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Well, as long as you're happy with the sound quality, that's good. I hope that I can find someone who could be equally happy with the set I have. I won't use them again. Maybe, I can get $10 for them in a garage sale.

11. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Henry Kloss designed for Cambridge SoundWorks?!?!?!? Well I never...

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

He did more than design for them he founded the company, even though it only had a short life as an independent before Creative bought them out. Another in an illustrious list of companies he was instrumental in.

B

13. Stinkysteve macrumors member

I came accross a pair that a coworker was storing in the basement where we were working about six years ago.

I think they were part of a Dell or Gateway system he bought, anyway he gave them to me.

No sub woofer with these, and they are a little taller than the one in the picture above. They sound great.

14. Silentwave macrumors 68000

Two.

I have two of those exact speaker sets. One we use at my father's house, actually for his bedroom TV (great sound). The other I use with my MBP. Unfortunately I ran over one of the cables with my chair, damaging it, and so one speaker has interference and occasionally cuts out, and i've used them a little too loud once or twice (same with my home theater speakers too :eek: ). Still I love them and my next set may also be CSW.